April was a month of sluggish progress for me. I spent much of the month trying and failing to read the same couple of books. I really don’t do well with assigned reading, haha, whoops. Compounding that is just normal depression and anxiety which makes me want to read nothing but light and fluffy books. Oh well, it happens.
I did manage to complete reading 11 novels, 1 novella, and 1 artbook–7 SFF books and 6 romances. Because of my struggles this month on progress, my ratio of SFF to other genres was a bit off! Since I read a lot less SFF than normal I also started to fall behind a bit with having a lot of reviews already in the can and pre-scheduled.
Favorite Reads of the Month:
Slim pickings this month!
- The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. This was a reread but it’s still one of my favorite books! I hadn’t reread this one for a while so it was nice to revisit it, like hanging out with an old friend.
- Enchantée by Gita Trelease. I didn’t expect to like this one as much as I did. No one in this book is perfect, everyone is just trying to do the best they can in the way they know how, some more successfully than others. I think that’s why I liked it so much.
April’s Book Reviews:
Not a bad month for book reviews, managed to get 10 reviews posted despite not reading much fantasy in April. I think my review for The Goblin Emperor is probably one of my favorites I’ve written so far. I still could have covered more things about the book in my review, but I also think I said enough already about why I love it so much. 🙂 On to the reviews!
The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin – 4.5/5 stars
Pocket Full of Tinder by Jill Archer – 3.5/5 stars
Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy – 2.5/5 stars
The Silver Queen by Josie Jafrey – 5/5 stars
The Spirit Eater by Rachel Aaron – 4/5 stars
The True Queen by Zen Cho – 3.5/5 stars
The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston – 4/5 stars
Masks and Shadows by Stephanie Burgis – 4.5/5 stars
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison – 5/5 stars
Elsewhere – The Fantasy Art of Jesper Ejsing – 5/5 stars
I actually managed a few posts this past month that weren’t book reviews, woohoo! I’ve gotten caught up on a few tags this month, I still have one or two I need to do but looks like those will be up in May. 🙂
- 2019 r/Fantasy Book Bingo Reading Challenge
- Song Request Book Tag
- 2019 Audiobook Challenge – 1st Quarter Update
- Introducing the HEA Book Club, for fans of Fantasy Romance!
- OMG THAT SONG TAG
- The Currently Reading Book Tag
Plans for May:
Well, on a whim I decided to go to our local SFF convention this year, Balticon! Mainly because my husband said he’d go with me, so I don’t have to be all awkward by myself. I’m excited, this will be my first Balticon and I hope to run into some folks I’ve met at other events around town. So that’s Memorial Day weekend near the end of the month. Before that I may have my Fancy Tea book club meeting if everyone’s available, if not that may be scheduled for June, I have to see about that still.
Goals from last month didn’t really get accomplished at all, womp womp. I did manage to get two reviews from my drafts folder down and have been keeping up with new reviews as I finish off books. So now I only have five reviews in my drafts folder instead of seven, I guess that’s something, haha. Anywho, I’ll be working on trying to make progress on that list from last month until I get it all done, eventually. 🙂
Here’s the list as a refresher:
- Catch up on review requests. I have a total of 6 review requests to get through, if I can tackle one a week or even just three this month then I can be all caught up in the next two months (I’m currently closed for requests so I can catch up)
- Keep catching up on my drafts folder — currently have 5 reviews I need to get to writing.
- Read and review my eARC of The Dragon Republic.
- Read my fancy tea book club selection – Good Omens. I’ve already read this one. A couple of times. But I should probably read it again as a refresher to discuss with my peeps.
- Continue catching up with February, March, and April new releases that I’m behind on. (eeek!)
- Work on my series tracker bullet journal.
- Work on updating my yearly reading tracker spreadsheet.
- Discworld at some point. (should I just give up at this point?)
How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to hear from you!