Well, once again December has proved to be a mammoth month of reading for me. Nothing like the end of the year coming on to spur on my reading as I try for some outrageous goal of number of books read. This month I finished a whopping 24 books! 14 of those were speculative fiction or some combination of romance and spec fic or mystery and spec fic (I think 9 were actually SFF genre). Two books were graphic novels and a lot of the books were on the shorter side (I think at least two were actual novellas) so that really helped me get through so many. I can’t believe I read so many books this past month, especially because it feels like I spent most of the month reading Angel Mage.
Favorite Reads of the Month:
Looking back on the month there were definitely a couple of standouts for me.
- Desdemona and the Deep by C.S.E. Cooney — This was such a weird and lovely novella of the fae. It’s exactly my type of weird and I loved the prose.
- A Beginning at the End by Mike Chen — I am beginning to realize that my new favorite subgenre is hopeful post-apocalyptic. I love stories about people and how we can be good to each other even in the face of the worst of circumstances. This was such a lovely read. It comes out in January so be sure to look out for it.
December’s Book Reviews:
Still slightly below average in my review output this past month–I like to be at two a week but it just didn’t happen this month with all the year end posts going on and also I just haven’t felt in the ‘review’ spirit lately? It takes a lot to think about what you want to say about a book sometimes! Anywho. Seven reviews were published this past month.
- City of Lies by Sam Hawke – 4/5 stars
- The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen – 4/5 stars
- Dark Age by Pierce Brown – 5/5 stars
- Desdemona and the Deep by C.S.E. Cooney – 5/5 stars
- Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim – 4/5 stars
- A Beginning at the End by Mike Chen – 5/5 stars
- Angel Mage by Garth Nix – 3//5 stars
Well, because it was December and it’s always a huge wrap up month not only for the quarter but the end of the year, there were a TON of miscellaneous posts. Here they are in case you missed any.
- Autumn TBR – Final Update
- Favorite Reads of 2019: Part One
- 2020 Reading Goals and Other Bookish Plans
- 2019 Audiobook Challenge – Final Update
- Favorite Reads of 2019: Part Two
- Books I Missed Getting to in 2019 – The Start of a 2020 TBR Pile
- Favorite Reads of 2019: Part Three
- Anticipated Book Releases of 2020
- Favorite Covers of 2019
- Favorite Reads of 2019: Part Four – Best of the Best
- 2019 Recap – A Year in Blogging
Plans for January:
First let’s see how I did with December’s plans.
- Finish Cataloging project and finalize 2020 reading plans – CHECK
- Continue with The Hanged Man promo event leading up to its December 17th release (so excited!) – I admit I sort of petered out with this halfway through the month, but I do still have a review of The Hanged Man in the works.
- I have 3-4 books for reveiw to read (maybe one more if I get approved for the other ARC I requested) – I finished three review books, one more to go but that will slide into Jan.
- Work on lots of end of year posts, some of which will involve updating spreadsheets to gather reading stats (so I guess I have to do that too) – DONE, except I do still have some things to do with one of my spreadsheets but I can work on that tomorrow. 🙂
- Read, read like the wind, because 2020 will be here before we know it! – Think I pretty much smashed this even though I didn’t get to all the books I had originally planned, I still read a lot!
I haven’t really come up with an official TBR or plan for January. For now I think I plan to keep things pretty chill. If I don’t get to a lot of books that’s probably okay as I have a ton of reviews I’m behind on so I can always catch up on those and post them. There are a few books I want to get to (one eARC I have from Netgalley that is due soon, and there’s at least one other new release I’m super excited for) but other than that I might just start on my 2020 goal of digging into my TBR. The pile in the living room is overflowing and something needs to be done. I also have some library books out that will probably be due in the next month and a half so I should make them a priority too. Oh. Well, I guess I just formed a plan for January, huh? 🙂
Enjoy your NYE everyone! I’ll see you all next year!
10 thoughts on “Monthly Wrap Up: December 2019”
Yea, I haven’t been in the book review spirit lately either and am now behind on them. I’m more in the roundup my favs and check my reading stats spirit lol!
Happy New Year to you!
Yes, that’s exactly the mood I’ve been in too, lol. Happy New year!
24 books is amazing! I’m excited for the calendar to turn over to 2020, for some reason I’m just ready for this year to be over. Hope you have a lovely New Years, Lisa😁🥳
Thanks! I’m also excited for 2020, it’s like ‘starting fresh’ (hopefully LOL). I am also really really done with 2019. Thanks, Tammy, hope you have a great New Year’s too!
Congrats on your reading accomplishments, and good luck with your new goals.
Happy New Year 🥳
Thank you so much! Happy new year to you as well. 😀
Keeping chilled seems like a good idea – we should both stick to that plan.
Yep! Trying to take it easy and not stress over book stuff. Hope you’re doing well!
Desdemona and the Deep sounds great!
It’s really unique and I just loved it.