I find myself saying this every year, but wow, 2019 really seemed to fly by! I can’t belive it’s that time of year again where I’m having to do a bunch of end of year posts, haha. I have A LOT of plans for my 2020 reading, but before I get into my 2020 reading plans, let’s take a look at how I’ve done with 2019’s goals first.
Goodreads Reading Challenge
- Goal: Read 100 books.
- Actual: Right now I’m sitting at 182 books read.
Last year I actually made 200 so I’m hoping I can binge read some manga and graphic novels and get to 200 again but we’ll see.
r/Fantasy Bingo Challenge
- Goal: Fill out the card between April 1st, 2019 and March 31st, 2020, added goal of an ‘All Vampire Book’ themed card.
- Actual: This one’s still in progress.
I think I’ll be cutting it closer this year than ever before, but I still think I can accomplish it! I think I have something like 10 or 11 squares left but most of the books I have left should be pretty fast reads for the most part.
Catching Up On Series
- Goal: Read a lot of sequels and finish off some series I’ve started.
- Actual: I did pretty bad at this one.
Well, I managed to complete about four or five series, and I did read a lot of sequels but I also started a bunch of new books again and didn’t really get to any ‘back list’ series I have going on. Sigh.
- Goal: Get through 15-20 books in the Discworld series.
- Actual: Well, I read one.
My reading goals for 2020 are pretty much going to be a repeat of last year, however I do have some additions and slight changes.
- I’ll still be setting my GR challenge at 100 books
- I’ll being doing r/fantasy bingo but probably with an added caveat of ‘must be a book you already have in you TBR pile’
- I’ll still be catching up on series I’ve started, but the plan is to focus hard on this goal in 2020 instead of it being a ‘passive’ goal
In addition to the above, I’m going on a kind of book buying ban. I’m calling it a ‘kind of book buying ban’ because I want to allow myself to purchase books to series I’ve already started since ‘getting caught up and staying caught up on series’ is one of my goals. The reason I’m doing this ‘ban’ is because I need to get caught up on my TBR. The amount of books I own that are sitting around unread is becoming unreasonable. I may also allow myself a couple of other purchases if they are books I plan to read right away, but I’m going to be pretty strict with myself.
TL;DR: My main goal for 2020 will be to work on making my TBR pile smaller and more manageable! That’s right–I’ll be concentrating on reading books I already own.
To be honest, I have SO many unread books, this will take more than one year of buckling down. But if I can at least make a dent, I’ll feel pretty good. I mean, if I can at least clear out most of this TBR pile in my living room then I’ll feel great! And then maybe I’ll let myself splurge again. 😉
Other Bookish Plans
- Reorganizing/Catalogue update of Bookshelves! Before I can even get to my ‘read my TBR’ goal I need to do an inventory and see exactly what I have that is unread so I can make a massive TBR list and go from there. I’m pretty organized when it comes to my shelves, but I haven’t gone through and done a full matching up with my online catalog vs my shelves in a while and my catalog is wonky when it comes to genre because I didn’t tag everything correctly, so….inventory it is. I‘ve already been working on this and hopefully will finish up later today. So far I’m up to over 600 unread books in speculative fiction alone. YIKES.
- Readathons! I had a great time doing them in 2019 and I want to do them again. Off The Grid has been especially great when I’ve been able to participate. Anything that helps me to get through more books, wee!
- Conventions! Had such a fun time this past year. I’ll definitely be going to Capclave again, the line up of authors is looking great. May also do Balticon again, and most likely Baltimore Book Fest as this has become a yearly event for me. It’s been great making some friends with local authors and becoming a bigger part of fandom, other than just online and I want to continue that.
- Blog maintenance! I did wind up giving my blog a bit of a makeover (as per one of my goals from last year), but I still want to make some more upgrades. Possibly get rid of ads as well as make a new banner/header and some other graphics. I don’t think I’ll go self-hosted just yet, but it’s something I’ve been thinking about so we’ll see how things go!
Those are my goals for next year, phew! Does anyone else have any goals or bookish plans for next year? Leave me a note in the comments, I’d love to hear from you!