August was a pretty darn good reading month. I managed to finish 13 books–11 SFF books and 2 Romances. While not bad by any means, I’d really hoped to somehow read a lot more and totally smash the rest of my Summer TBR pile, but I think that was an unrealistic expectation on my part LOL. It’s not that I couldn’t have done it…but I did also get distracted by other books again. I think only 7 of the books I read were on my actual list!
I’ll have more of the full details of how I did with the three month long challenge in my wrap up post for 20 Books of Summer which will be coming shortly! (I still have the rest of this weekend~!)
Favorite Reads of the Month:
Well, August I read a TON of great books. Honestly hard to choose just a few or my favorites, but I’ll try. All of these were books that I was looking forward to and my expectations were not let down!
- An Illusion of Thieves by Cate Glass. Carol Berg’s new series under a new pen name! Wasn’t sure how I would like this one even though I love Berg’s stuff, but it was great. It does have some of her signatures such as putting her characters through a lot. 🙂
- Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse. One of my most anticipated sequels of the year and it did not disappoint. This despite one of my favorite characters being absent for the entire book. Also, I really love Maggie. She’s a lovable mess.
- Turning Darkness into Light by Marie Brennan. Another book I was highly anticipating. This is a new one set in the same universe as her Lady Trent series, which I loved. It’s also an epistolary novel. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this one.
- The Harp of Kings by Juliet Marillier. New Marillier! I’ve loved everything I’ve read by her so far, and this was no exception. Great characters, interesting mystery. The character arcs!!! ❤
August’s Book Reviews:
I didn’t really get out any ‘extra’ reviews in August, just strove for my usual 2 per week. Ended up with 8 total reviews posted. Not bad!
The Spec Set by Taya Okurlund – 2.5/5 stars
The Queen’s Advantage by Jessie Mihalik – 4/5 stars
Lace and Lies by Nancy Warren – 4.5/5 stars
Last Bastion by Rachel Aaron and Travis Bach – 4/5 stars
Turning Darkness Into Light by Marie Brennan – 5/5 stars
An Illusion of Thieves by Cate Glass – 4.5/5 stars
Under Ordshaw by Phil Williams – 3.5/5 stars
The Harp of Kings by Juliet Marillier – 5/5 stars
Once again, not a whole lot of other posts going on. Still have my regular scheduled posts happening on M, W, F, and Su–except I did miss a Friday Favorite Five post because I was waaaay behind on things and super tired when it came time to write up a post. It happens. Of these, I’m particularly excited about my Autumn TBR announcement–got something to hold myself accountable again!
- 20 Books of Summer – August Check-In
- 2019 Rewind Challenge
- The Tropes Book Tag
- Autumn TBR – 30ish Books I’d Like To Read This Fall
Plans for September:
I don’t have any bookish events for September, but I do have a new challenge I’ve set myself–a 30 Book TBR pile for the next three months with starts September 4th. I’ll be concentrating on that and r/fantasy bingo reads since we’re at the halfway point now and I only have about five or six squares marked off so far. Really my plans are to read and hopefully get way ahead in blog posts again so I don’t feel so behind all the time. 😀 Although, I know I’m probably going to get behind fast because September is slammed with new releases (and I accidentally left a few off of my Fall TBR list, whoops!)
What are your plans for next month? Everyone have a fantastic September!