Tammy over at Books, Bones & Buffy is doing a 2019 Rewind Challenge. Basically, the goal of this challenge is to look at some of your back list books that have been on your TBR pile and get them read by the end of the year.
I really loved the idea of this challenge and was planning on focusing on some of my back list books anyway once 20 Books of Summer Challenge ends at the beginning of September, so I decided to join in! Now, I won’t be starting this back list until September, and I’m also not going to overwhelm myself with books here (as I usually do) because there are still some new releases coming out this Fall that I’m very excited about and will be reading when they come out. That being said, I’m very much looking forward to clearing a few more back lists out of my TBR pile. Yay, progress!
Without further ado, here are five books that I’m planning to read before the end of 2019.
- Zoo City by Lauren Beukes. I’ve had this in my TBR since last year and I feel especially terrible about that because it was sort of a gift from a friend. I have not read any of Lauren Beukes work yet, and I think it’s high time I remedied that.
- The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal. This is the follow up book to The Calculating Stars, one of my favorite reads of last year. This one came out shortly after the first book, which is probably why I haven’t read it yet. For some reason I’m used to more of a gap between books! 😀
- The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco. I heard about this one a while back and picked it up but just haven’t had time to work it in with so many new books always coming out. This has to have been in my TBR for a year or more, so about time I get this one read.
- City of Lies by Sam Hawke. I don’t know why I haven’t read this yet, I hate myself, especially because Sam is so awesome. Welp. I’m determined to read this!
- The Waking Land by Callie Bates. This one came out back in 2017, but I didn’t pick up a copy until earlier this year. Still, this is a series I’ve heard a lot about and want to read. No time like the present!
Now, working these few books in with the new releases shouldn’t be too hard, especially since December doesn’t seem to have much going on with new books coming out that I’m interested in. I’m hoping I’ll not only get these finished, but a few other back list books as well. But, for now, going to stick with this list so that in case I don’t make it I’m not a big old embarrassment to myself. 😉
Thoughts on these? Are you planning on reading some back list books this fall? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat with you!
22 thoughts on “2019 Rewind Challenge”
I’ve also been meaning to read The Bone Witch!
It’s been on my list for so long!
I hope you get to all of them and enjoy of course?
Yes about time you picked up The Bone Witch! Having said that, I bought the other two book after reading The Bone Witch in May and still haven’t gotten to them.. ops!
Hah, that happens to me all of the time. I have so many sequels I’m behind on, even though I own them. It’s a problem. LOL
I’ve been curious about Bone Witch so it will be good to get your take on that. I’ve read two of these and liked both, City of Lies and Zoo City.
I’m looking forward to all of these, I’ve heard great things about all three of those in particular. I think those are the three I chose to start with first actually! It’s like you’re reading my mind. 😀
I loved City of Lies so that would be my recommendation.
That will probably be the one I start with. 🙂
These all look like great picks! Especially Zoo City, The Fated Sky and City of Lies. Although I will say I did not love The Fated Sky as much as I loved The Calculating Stars.
I think The Calculating Stars will be hard to top, it was such an amazing book. 🙂
Nice list! City of Lies was pretty good, I think this is a series that has a lot of potential to grow. I also enjoyed The Waking Land, and it’s nice because each book in the trilogy stands alone!
I’m looking forward to City of Lies, a lot of my friends love that one.
I didn’t know that about that series, that’s great to know! It will make me feel less guilty about not picking up the next one right away, hah.
I can’t wait to get to all of these, truthfully, lol. 😀
I haven’t read any of these, but I did want to read Waking Land at one point. Good luck getting through them.
Thanks! The Waking Land just really intrigued me (but I especially love the cover and I admit I’m totally drawn in by that LOL).
I love this challenge 🙂 I think its a great idea! Good luck!
Love this idea! I recently made a catch up list of books that fell through the cracks on my various monthly TBRs….that might be my default TBR for the lull in December.
I’m really thankful for that lull in December right now LOL. It’s definitely going to be catch up time.