Wow, can’t believe this is my last post of 2020. So long, year! Hope 2021 is better for all of us. Happy New Year’s Eve!
I ended up with a grand total of 12 books in December. Wow, this is probably my worst December in a while! I usually read something like 18-20 books. But I had a lot going on this year and, well, reading is tough still thanks to the pandemic. All things said though, 12 is not a bad number at all.
- 10 novels, 2 manga volumes
- 11 Speculative Fiction–10 Fantasy (a mix of Historical, Fantasy of Manners, Urban and general Fantasy) and 1 Science Fiction (Post-Apocalyptic/New Weird)
- 1 Romance–Contemporary Sports Romance
Favorite Reads of the Month:
I read a lot of fun things in December! Quality over quantity. 🙂
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune – Everyone kept telling me how wonderful this book was so I’m not sure why I put it off so long but they were right. It’s just so cozy and lovely and full of hope and nice people standing up against bigotry with love and kindness. So much love.
- Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews – This is the new spinoff series from Kate Daniels and you all probably know how much of a huge fan I am of that series so when an opportunity arose to read and ARC of this I was so excited. This book not only lived up to my expectations but blew them out of the water. If you’re a fan of Kate Daniels series or just of Urban Fantasy you’re going to want to get this when it comes out. I’ll have a full review of this coming up in January.
December’s Book Reviews:
Got out eight reviews in December, which is right about average. I’ve mostly been staying on top of writing my reviews, but I do have about 3 in my drafts folder which I hope to catch up on during my long weekend. *crosses fingers*
- The Beast Player by Nahoko Uehashi – 4/5 stars
- The Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco – 4/5 stars
- Ten Thousand Stitches by Olivia Atwater – 5/5 stars
- Dreams from the Grave by J. Kathleen Cheney – 4.5/5 stars
- Etched in Silver by Anne Bishop – 4.5/5 stars
- Bonds of Brass by Emily Skrutskie – 3/5 stars
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones – 4.5/5 stars
- Borne by Jeff VanderMeer – 4.5/5 stars
December is always a month of recap posts and looking forward to the new year, so as expected I had a TON of other posts going on for the month. Here they are in case you missed them the first time around.
- Favorite Covers of 2020
- Leibster Award #3
- Why I’m (mostly) Giving Up Reading Challenges
- 2020 Audiobook Challenge – Final Update
- Anticipated Book Releases of 2021
- Favorite Reads of 2020
- Books I Missed Getting to in 2020
- 2020 Recap – A Year in Blogging
Plans for January:
First let’s take a step back and see how I did with December’s plans. For December my plans were to mood read all the way. CHECK. Although I did read a couple of books for review they were driven by my mood as well so I pretty much mood read the entire month. Felt great! On the blog front I had A LOT of spreadsheet maintenance to catch up on, which I pretty much accomplished. PHEW. Then I had some home cleaning I wanted to get done and I got like 90% of that done, huzzah!
For January I plan to continue mood reading! I do have two more review requests I need to read but those are also things I’m looking forward to so they should go along with the mood reading thing. 🙂 Aside from reading I need to start making the new 2021 r/fantasy bingo card. Also need to work on catching up on the few reviews I have in my drafts folder and make some other scheduled posts for the blog. And make my new reading tracker spreadsheet! So, not so many reading goals but more reading related goals. 🙂
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!