Wow, can’t believe this is my last post of 2020. So long, year! Hope 2021 is better for all of us. Happy New Year’s Eve!
I ended up with a grand total of 12 books in December. Wow, this is probably my worst December in a while! I usually read something like 18-20 books. But I had a lot going on this year and, well, reading is tough still thanks to the pandemic. All things said though, 12 is not a bad number at all.
- 10 novels, 2 manga volumes
- 11 Speculative Fiction–10 Fantasy (a mix of Historical, Fantasy of Manners, Urban and general Fantasy) and 1 Science Fiction (Post-Apocalyptic/New Weird)
- 1 Romance–Contemporary Sports Romance
Favorite Reads of the Month:
I read a lot of fun things in December! Quality over quantity. 🙂
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune – Everyone kept telling me how wonderful this book was so I’m not sure why I put it off so long but they were right. It’s just so cozy and lovely and full of hope and nice people standing up against bigotry with love and kindness. So much love.
- Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews – This is the new spinoff series from Kate Daniels and you all probably know how much of a huge fan I am of that series so when an opportunity arose to read and ARC of this I was so excited. This book not only lived up to my expectations but blew them out of the water. If you’re a fan of Kate Daniels series or just of Urban Fantasy you’re going to want to get this when it comes out. I’ll have a full review of this coming up in January.
December’s Book Reviews:
Got out eight reviews in December, which is right about average. I’ve mostly been staying on top of writing my reviews, but I do have about 3 in my drafts folder which I hope to catch up on during my long weekend. *crosses fingers*
- The Beast Player by Nahoko Uehashi – 4/5 stars
- The Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco – 4/5 stars
- Ten Thousand Stitches by Olivia Atwater – 5/5 stars
- Dreams from the Grave by J. Kathleen Cheney – 4.5/5 stars
- Etched in Silver by Anne Bishop – 4.5/5 stars
- Bonds of Brass by Emily Skrutskie – 3/5 stars
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones – 4.5/5 stars
- Borne by Jeff VanderMeer – 4.5/5 stars
December is always a month of recap posts and looking forward to the new year, so as expected I had a TON of other posts going on for the month. Here they are in case you missed them the first time around.
- Favorite Covers of 2020
- Leibster Award #3
- Why I’m (mostly) Giving Up Reading Challenges
- 2020 Audiobook Challenge – Final Update
- Anticipated Book Releases of 2021
- Favorite Reads of 2020
- Books I Missed Getting to in 2020
- 2020 Recap – A Year in Blogging
Plans for January:
First let’s take a step back and see how I did with December’s plans. For December my plans were to mood read all the way. CHECK. Although I did read a couple of books for review they were driven by my mood as well so I pretty much mood read the entire month. Felt great! On the blog front I had A LOT of spreadsheet maintenance to catch up on, which I pretty much accomplished. PHEW. Then I had some home cleaning I wanted to get done and I got like 90% of that done, huzzah!
For January I plan to continue mood reading! I do have two more review requests I need to read but those are also things I’m looking forward to so they should go along with the mood reading thing. 🙂 Aside from reading I need to start making the new 2021 r/fantasy bingo card. Also need to work on catching up on the few reviews I have in my drafts folder and make some other scheduled posts for the blog. And make my new reading tracker spreadsheet! So, not so many reading goals but more reading related goals. 🙂
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!
8 thoughts on “Monthly Wrap Up: December 2020”
I think 12 books is amazing! I only posted 6 reviews this month, but I’m ok with that. I’m finishing up my second January review book today so I’m a little ahead for next month. Have a safe New Year’s Eve, Lisa😁
Yay for being ahead! That’s always a good feeling. 🙂
Thanks, Tammy! Hope you have a safe and happy NYE as well.
Amazing wrap-up Lisa, so glad to hear you loved The House in the Cerulean Sea, will have to read your review on it! I recently learned about Blood Heir and I really want to read that one too. Haven’t read the author’s previous series though, but it looks good. I posted a few discussions this month I was super happy with and a couple reviews! Happy New Year’s Eve. 😍
It was such a lovely book–gave me all the warm and fuzzies. 🙂
For Blood Heir you don’t have to have read the previous series. That being said the Kate Daniels series is one of my faves so I do highly recommend it. 😀
Happy NYE to you as well!
I hope I can make 12 books a month (not likely at all). Lol.
I loved Blood Heir so can’t wait to read your review – especially as you have the benefit of fully knowing the world already it will be interesting to get your take.
Maybe you can, Lynn! Never underestimate yourself. 🙂
I loved Blood Heir too! I think most of my review was just gushing haha. I’m really interested to see your full thoughts since this was your introduction to the world!
I’m super late to this, but I’m so glad to hear you had some lovely reads to round out the year! Here’s hoping 2021 is going to be even more spectacular on the mood reading front. I’ve been doing it a lot at the end of 2020, too, and it’s just been such a delight, so I hope you continue to have fun with it!
Thank you! So far I’ve enjoyed the books I’ve read in 2021–hope that holds! 🙂 Mood reading is just the best.