I had a REALLY rough start to the month. I was just busy with a lot of stuff going on (the end of my renovation, ending my old job of 5 years and starting a new one, everything in the world, etc) and it was hard for me to keep up with my reading and blogging. It took a little while for me to get back into the swing of things but I think I’m finally starting to catch up and get a new routine down now that the dust has settled (in this case literally–I still have a lot of cleaning to do!) So towards the end of the month my reading picked up A LOT. I ended with a pretty darn good month in books!
November wound up being a really heavy Romance month for me. Part of my effort to avoid slump town was to just read a different genre and I guess it took a little longer than normal to get out of the trenches. Nothing really wrong with that, just means I read a higher percentage of Romance than normal. It happens!
For November I also participated in SciFiMonth for the first time ever! I had hoped to get more SciFi themed posts going but that didn’t work out, still I had 5 reviews of SciFi books plus I read a few SciFi books as well–way more than normal (in spec fic I definitely lean more into the Fantasy side of things haha). Still, I had a good time and thanks so much to the organizers for putting this together again! Hopefully next year I’ll have my stuff together a little more for these events. 🙂
- 16 novels, 4 manga volumes (although I’m hoping to finish off another novel today so maybe 17 total…we’ll see)
- 8 Speculative Fiction novels–3 Scifi, 5 Fantasy (and all but 2 were romance heavy–as is my mood!)
- 7 Romance novels–6 contemporary, 1 historical
- 1 General Fiction novel
Favorite Reads of the Month:
I guess because I was mood reading the 2nd half of the month, I wound up reading a lot of things I loved! How about that? 😉
- Dreams from the Grave by J. Kathleen Cheney. I don’t know why I waited months after it was released to read this book when it’s one of my favorite series but moods are strange things! I continue to love this. The mysteries are intriguing, the world building is fascinating and layered and the characters are great. Also the romance. Swoooooon.
- Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop. The final book in The Others series and I’m so sad it’s over! I really want more of these characters, they’re all so fabulous. I’ve enjoyed every minute of time spent with them.
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. This book was unexpected and totally a mood read. I’m so glad that I decided to check it out though because it was exactly the dark and romantic fairy tale that I didn’t know I was craving.
- The Prince of Secrets by A.J. Lancaster. This is the 2nd book in the Stariel Quartet and I’m LOVING this series. Love books involving the fae, and this one has a bit of society and mystery and romance and really fun characters. Really all of the things I love and they’re written so well.
November’s Book Reviews:
Managed to get out 8 reviews in November so holding to my average really well and I feel good about that. I did get a little behind in writing reviews for a few minutes but I’m pretty much all caught up again so yay!
- The Shores of Spain by J. Kathleen Cheney – 4/5 stars
- The Better Part of Valor by Tanya Huff – 4/5 stars
- Peace Talks by Jim Butcher – 3.5/5 stars
- The Many-Colored Land by Julien May – No Rating – DNF
- Spellbreaker by Charlie N. Holmberg – 4/5 stars
- Redshirts by John Scalzi – 4/5 stars
- Rebel by Krista D. Ball – 4/5 stars
- Aurora Blazing by Jessie Mihalik – 4/5 stars
I had a few book tags and then a list post and a discussion post! Almost finished the year and so far have kept up with my one per month discussion post!
- Book Buying Habits Tag
- Physical Books or Ebooks? Which is Better?
- Books to Read Before The End of The Year
- Medieval Queens Book Tag
- End of Year Book Tag
Plans for December:
First let’s take a step back and see how I did with November’s plans. For November I wanted to MOOD READ. I think I did pretty good with that? I wound up once again reading a good amount of romance so….yeah. I also had a couple of books on the TBR planned for Scifi Month and I only got to one of them but I’ll take it as a win haha. Bingo was something I thought about in the background only and I did manage to read at least one more book for that. It helped that it was the same book on my TBR. 🙂
For December I plan to mood read all the way. There are a few books I’d LOVE to get to before 2021 but if I don’t, oh well. They’ll be there for me whenever. So that’s about it! Other than that I do have a lot of blog things I need to catch up on so hopefully I can find the time for that–I’ve been trying but when you dig a big hole for yourself it takes a lot of work to get out of it haha. I have A LOT of spreadsheet maintenance to catch up on so I can get my end of year stats together, just to name one major thing I need to do. I also need to finish giving my house a thorough cleaning (this is taking forever! Damn this renovation dust!) because we decided to have my parents and brother over for Christmas dinner since we won’t be doing a big family gathering this year due to the pandemic. I’ll be very busy but hopefully I’ll also find some reading time!
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!