Here we are at the end of another month! 2020 sure has been flying by! I had really hoped to read more books this month, 9 total is not bad by any means but it’s EXTREMELY low for me. I would say I was busy doing other things (like watching The Untamed) but it feels like I’ll have one great week reading followed by a slumpy week and then a great week followed by another slumpy week. Hopefully things will be more consistent in August.
- 8 novels and 1 short story collection
- 6 speculative fiction books
- 3 romance (2 historical, 1 contemporary)
Favorite Reads of the Month:
I actually read a lot of fantastic books this past month! The last couple of months I’ve had trouble picking out my faves because so much of what I’ve loved hasn’t been SFF related but in July I read a lot of fantastic SFF books–No problem picking out the faves this month!
- The Empire of Gold by S. A. Chakraborty – What an amazing conclusion to this series. I was soooo happy and satisfied with how things turned out even though some parts of it were bittersweet. I don’t know how else this could have ended that would have left me feeling better. It’s a little sad to leave these characters behind though. Can’t wait to see what Shannon writes next!
- The Obsidian Tower by Melissa Caruso – It took me a little bit to get into this, a couple of rough starts, but I think that was my mood more than anything. Once I was about 15% in I really started becoming invested in the story and I’m sooooo glad I did because this book was amazing! So much going on, so many stakes, so many little plot threads all coming together to tell a story about Murphy’s Law: Everything that Could Go Wrong, Did Go Wrong. I loved it. Can’t wait for the next one!
- Written in Red by Anne Bishop – This book had been in my physical TBR pile for *checks* SIX YEARS. I don’t know why I waited so long but I’m so glad that I finally picked it up because it was EVERYTHING I needed to catapult me out of my itty bitty reading slump. Found family, supernatural stuff, urban fantasy, so many feels! It’s such a odd combination of ultra-violence alongside heartwarming cozy feelings, but it really works for me.
July’s Book Reviews:
I published 9 reviews this past month — and one of those was for a 4 book series. I’m back up to my normal amount of reviews per month so that feels good. And I’m pretty much staying on top of writing them but it’s helped that my reading has still been kind of funky. I guess that’s one positive side effect.
- The Betrothed by Kiera Cass – 2/5 stars
- Race the Sands by Sarah Beth Durst – 4.5/5 stars
- Elemental Mysteries series by Elizabeth Hunter – 4/5 stars
- Crosstalk by Connie Willis – 4/5 stars
- Garters and Gargoyles by Nancy Warren – 3.5/5 stars
- The Obsidian Tower by Melissa Caruso – 5/5 stars
- Blood Debt by Tanya Huff – 3.5/5 stars
- Written in Red by Anne Bishop – 4/5 stars
- In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker – 4/5 stars
I filled out a couple of tags this month and I’m still on point with my one discussion post per month goal. At least that’s one thing that’s going strong! I also posted my mid-year update. And a new reading challenge being run by a Kathy @ Pages Below the Vaulted Sky.
- 2020 Mid-Year Update: Favorite Reads + Reading Goals Progress
- Tarot Sequence Presents: Black Lives Matter Reading Bingo
- Why I Love Tropes
- The Book Predictions Tag
- The Dreamy Book Cover Tag
20 Books of Summer:
Let’s see how I’m doing with my summer reading challenge so far! Here’s my list. Crossed off books are ones I’ve been able to read.
- The Shores of Spain by J. Kathleen Cheney
- The Waking Land by Callie Bates
Written in Red by Anne Bishop Sooner or Later Everything Falls into the Sea by Sarah Pinsker
- The Many-Colored Land by Julian May
The Obsidian Tower by Melissa Caruso
- The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells
- A Conspiracy of Truths by Alexandra Rowland
In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker
- Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko
Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
- Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
- The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron
Valor’s Choice by Tanya Huff
- The Queen’s Road by R. S. Belcher
Oh, hey, I finally made some progress on this list! Better late than never? The problem is mood reading and all I want to do is mood read. I mean, I guess it’s not really a problem except for all these book challenges I’m doing where I’ve picked specific books to read for them. We’ll see how many more of these I get to before the end of summer.
Plans for August:
Let’s first see how I did with July’s plans! I wanted to work on my 20 Books of Summer pile — and I finally made some progress but there are still a lot of books on the list. We’ll see how it goes. I’m not going to pressure myself. (I say that but I probably will anyway because I’m me.) I also wanted to try and read some books for the r/fantasy book bingo — I finished FOUR books for bingo–huzzah! That means I’m now down 5 squares with 20 to go. And then I thought as a bonus goal I might take a gander at two unread library books — NOPE–the good news is these aren’t due until the end of August. I don’t know if I’ll get to them though what with the challenges I’m trying to do. Maybe I’ll just turn them in…
For August I plan to once again keep things chill and stay with the mood reading because that seems to be working out really great for me. I want to keep working on my summer reading list as much as I can but if I stray from it then no big deal. I also want to get a couple of more bingo books read. There are also some new releases I’d love to catch up on. I guess we’ll see where my mood takes me!
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!