Hi all! Sorry for the long absence. Not really sure what happened there except that I had a weird 4th of July weekend–spent Saturday having an awesome time with family swimming and boozing it up and then fell into a deep black depression on Sunday and Monday that has…not quite left yet? I was going to post on that Tuesday but since I hadn’t finished any books the previous week I figured there wouldn’t be much point to it.
Anywho. I’ve since finished two books (finally FINALLY finished Gods of Jade and Shadow) and have read a bunch of manga which I haven’t really tracked in my goodreads but about….20-30 volumes of stuff so quite a bit. I also started my great Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles read this weekend but have only gotten like four volumes read so far. My plan going into the weekend was to lay around and read all weekend but I found a bug in my bedroom on Friday night which freaked me out so I spent all day Saturday deep cleaning (not that it was bad to begin with but my anxiety needed me to tear it apart and put together all shiny and new again) and then Saturday night our power went out for a while due to a huge two-hour long thunderstorm which….was probably the worst storm I’ve seen hit the area since 2012’s infamous derecho storm.
Besides reading I’ve been going to the gym a few times a week. I’ve hit a point where I like exercising? Who even am I anymore? I also have been watching (and rewatching) some Korean and Japanese dramas. Binge watching really because that’s what happens when my brain gets into a funk–it just latches on and becomes obsessed with certain things and, well. I don’t know why my brain is like this but I keep on trying to keep on as best I can and one day I’ll feel like getting back on track. I may just enjoy the Summer for what it is and go from there.
Even though I haven’t been reading many novels lately I’ve gotten a few new books!
- Son of the Storm by Suyi Davies Okungbowa was the latest book from the Goldsboro Fellowship subscription service. This one looks really fascinating so I’m looking forward to eventually checking it out.
- Of course I was going to pick up A Psalm For The Wild Built by Becky Chambers–she’s probably my top favorite author of the last few years. I’ve loved everything I’ve read by her and I’m sure I’ll love this one too.
- Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim. I really enjoyed her Spin the Dawn duology so I definitely wanted to check out her new book!
- Sisters of the Snake by Sarena and Sasha Nanua is a YA book I’ve been looking forward too–to my delight it was also the latest Owlcrate book. This may be by last OC book for a while (or I may have one more coming?) because I cancelled my subscription again–just have way too much of a backlog and I have to pay to get some work done around the house (yay homeownership!).
- J. Kathleen Cheney is one of my favorite authors and she had a bunch of extra author copies she was selling on her site super cheap so I picked up these. I already have copies of the first three but these were signed so I’m going to donate my unsigned copies to a Little Free Library. I’ve read the bottom two as well but didn’t have physical copies. These are all welcome editions to my collection!
- And, the latest volume of Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card by CLAMP arrived! I have yet to start this manga but I will eventually, just waiting for a good time to binge it. 😀
Not pictured but I also got a few ebooks since my last check-in with those back in June:
- Fifteen Hundred Miles From the Sun by Jonny Garza Villa
- Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon
- Wild Card by Jamie Wyman
- The Queen’s Triumph by Jessie Mihalik
- Priestess of Ishana by Judith Starkston
- While We Were Dating by Jasmine Guillory
As for what I’m reading this week? Well, I have two ebooks due at the library soon so I should probably finish though – The Awakening by Nora Roberts and Twisted Twenty-Six by Janet Evanovich. I’m also going to be working my way through the rest of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles by CLAMP–4 volumes down, 24 to go! I’m not sure what else I may read. I have about half an hour left on The Name of All Things by Jenn Lyons so I should probably try to knock that out. I just…have been in a weird funk lately. *shrugs*
I hope you all are doing well, I’ve certainly missed being deep in the community and checking in with folks. Take care of yourselves!