Well, I guess April 2021 will be known as The Month I Took A Break From Blogging. Or maybe the month when I finally gave in and just gave up on things for a bit. I will say the break was needed. Work has been super slammed and my brain is basically useless when I’m home. I spent a lot of time watching mindless TV (hello, The Circle) and Kdramas. Also, I think I finally have pandemic fatigue. I’m just tired. I got my second covid shot! And then got sick from it for a couple of days. And one of my cats is dying. I mean, she’s been sick off and on for a while but now my fears have been confirmed and we’re just going to do our best to take care of her until she gets too sick and then that will be that. I spent a lot of time this past week and a half crying. Anyone who has ever had pets knows what I mean.
Anyway. I somehow managed to finish 12 whole books? Despite all that? Even though it’s all kind of a blur. It was an interesting mix in April too–not just my usual blend of SFF and Romance.
- 7 novels, 1 novella, 2 graphic novels, 1 nonfiction book, 1 epic poem
- 7 Speculative Fiction–4 Fantasy, 3 Sci-fi.
- 2 Romance–1 Contemporary, 1 Historical
- 1 Self-help
- 1 Thriller
- 1 Classic (The Odyssey as translated by Emily Wilson – quite enjoyed her lengthy notes!)
FAVORITE READS OF THE MONTH:
It’s been such an odd month for me, like things felt really foggy in some ways. I couldn’t even remember what all I had read so I had to go back and rely on goodreads.
- Network Effect by Martha Wells. I have NO idea why I had waited so long to read this but it was an absolute DELIGHT and my love for all things Murderbot is still going strong.
- All the Murmuring Bones by A.G. Slatter. Holy crap this book. THIS BOOK. It’s soooo very atmospheric and WEIRD. The main character is both relatable and somehow off-putting at the same time? It’s just such a strange, dark, gothic little book. I’m all about it, tbh. I have to thank my fellow bloggers for putting this one on my radar.
APRIL’S BOOK REVIEWS:
This may be the fewest reviews I’ve ever had in a month since I first started blogging back in late 2017. Yikes.
- The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers – 5/5 stars
- Spellbound by Ophelia Silk – 4/5 stars
Still managed to get out a couple of non-regular posts. Yay?
- 2021 r/Fantasy Book Bingo Reading Challenge
- My Personal Plans for Tackling the Rest of 2021 (LOLOLOLOLOL)
- Wyrd & Wonder Announcement
PLANS FOR MAY:
Let’s just scrap whatever April’s plans were because they got thrown right out the window. I didn’t even finish my April TBR. Although I am still in the middle of reading two of the books! Hopefully I can get my crap together and finish them in May.
Speaking of May. Well, I’m going to ease back into things. Try and get some reviews written. Try and enjoy reading as much as possible. Enjoy Wyrd & Wonder and just see what happens. I suppose it will be better than April but I guess we’ll find out. Honestly don’t know if I’m ready to come back full time yet. So….we’ll see how things go. I do have my first family function since Christmas of 2019 coming up this weekend but other than that my plan is to start out this month with getting back into my blog. It sorely needs some TLC. And not to mention I miss talking to y’all!
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!