Well, I had a really good reading month for January and finished 13 books. I can’t really complain about this past month’s reading. Hopefully this is a sign that I’m getting back to my normal amount of reading, but I guess time will tell for sure. One month does not make a pattern after all. 🙂 On the blogging front, I’ve also been doing really good keeping up with almost everything. I think having a shorter commute giving me a little more time in the day is really working out for me here. Of course it means sacrificing other things like having a lot less time for audiobooks. Still, it doesn’t seem to have a negative effect on my quantity of books read overall.
- 11 novels, 2 manga
- 10 Speculative Fiction–2 Sci-fi and 8 Fantasy
- 3 Romance–1 Contemporary Romance, 2 Historical Romance
- 7 Adult vs 6 YA
Favorite Reads of the Month:
There were many good reads over the past month, thankfully. But here’s a few I want to give a shout out to:
- The Mask of Mirrors by M.A. Carrick – Wow. Just wow. This started off slow and ended on a bang. The second half was relentless and I just really really really loved this book. I can’t wait to read the next one!
- The Merciful Crow by Margaret Owen – I didn’t expect to like this one as much as I did! I thought it would be another kind of generic or formulaic YA fantasy but it really was something unique and special. Looking forward to continuing on.
- The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers – Well of course this is Chambers so I was bound to love it. I’ll have some thoughts coming on this one closer to publication time. 🙂
January’s Book Reviews:
Well, I’m starting off the year a bit review heavy with NINE reviews this past month. I blame it on reading so much. In fact, I’m so far ahead I have several reviews for February already scheduled. It feels good to be on tope of things–not gonna lie.
- The Prince of Secrets by A.J. Lancaster – 5/5 stars
- Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews – 5/5 stars
- The Silvered Serpent by Roshani Chokshi – 4.5/5 stars
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune – 5/5 stars
- Blue Angel by Phil Williams – 4/5 stars
- Winter’s Orbit by Everina Maxwell – 4/5 stars
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab – 3.5/5 stars
- Spellbound by Allie Therin – 4/5 stars
- Spellmaker by Charlie N. Holmberg – 4/5 stars
I had a pretty good amount of tags and topical posts in January. I don’t know how often I’ll be having discussion posts in the future (I’m not that creative and coming up with topics can be hard) but I’m always up for tags so look for several more tags in February.
- My Year in Reading Stats – 2020
- 2021 Reading Goals
- Books I’d Love to Reread
- Are You a Book Snob? Tag
- Anti-TBR Tag!
Plans for February:
First let’s take a step back and see how I did with January’s plans. For January I wanted to mood read and get to my last two review requests. blah. I also wanted to start on the new 2021 r/fantasy bingo card and, well, I guess that will be a February task now. I better get on it because April is coming up fast! I also wanted to catch up on review writing and work on scheduling posts–these are both things I’ve been able to accomplish and mostly keep up on so I feel good about that.
For February I plan to get that bingo card done! Seriously! It needs to happen! Other than that just concentrate on my monthly TBR and mood reading because I’m through my review requests. MOOD READING FTW.
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!