This post is a little random but I was thinking about books and series that I’d love to re-read the other day and then I was struck by sadness because it feels like I have a LOT less re-reading time these days (so many unread books calling my name!).
I mean, I am totally in charge of my own reading destiny and I can choose to re-read instead of reading so many new books, but then I get distracted by the shiny new covers and also I have reviews to write! I usually do some amount of re-reading every year but no where near as much as I used to before getting such a huge TBR and becoming a book blogger.
So, here’s a list of books/series I’d love to re-read at some point!
- Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson – I LOVE THIS BOOK. It was such a joy to read last year and ended up being one of my top reads for the entire year. I’m not exactly sure why, but probably the characters and their dynamic between each other just resonated with me on some other level. I’ve been meaning to re-read it ever since but just haven’t found the time.
- The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden – This is a book that I listened to in audio a while back and for whatever reason it just didn’t work for me. I don’t remember much about the book at all! I think it was a format issue for me (sometimes I zone out with audio) so I want to try it in print and see what happens! Maybe I’ll end up loving it the 2nd time around.
- Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones – I read this one a really long time ago and back then it was one of my favorites. It’s a very strange book with a lot of atmosphere. I’d love to see how it holds up to the me of today.
- The Vampire Empire series by Susan and Clay Griffith – These books are just so much fun! I read them right before I started reviewing books here full time and I’d love to reread them so I could do proper reviews for them but also because they’re just my type of bread, butter and jam. Vampires! Steampunk! Post-apocolyptic setting! Alternate history! Romance! Also one of the main characters is a vampire who is a super badass super hero legend who is low-key fighting other vampires to help the humans but also is somewhat shy and lives as a kind of recluse in a Scottish castle and is friends with cats. If there was ever a book series that was written specifically to appeal to me, it would be this one.
- The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard – I read this book a while ago and this was also and audio read. I remember loving the book at the time, it felt so very gothic and some parts of it gave me some strong Haibane Renmei vibes. But I don’t remember much about the characters and plot! And this is a series I definitely want to continue reading so I must go back and reread book one. I’m going to read it in print next time and hope it sticks!
So, these are just a few of the books and series that I’d love to reread. We’ll see if I can squeeze them in some time this year. Do you have any books that you want to reread? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!
29 thoughts on “Books / Series I Want to Re-Read”
I’ve been rereading The Winternight trilogy the last couple of months, about to reread the last one, and I’m reminded why I loved this series so much!
This also reminds me I need to reread more often haha!
Oh, that’s good to hear. I really need to do at least one of these rereads this year, perhaps it will be the Winternight books!
Ooh, I’d love to re-read Sorcery of Thorns. I’ve only read TBATN out of The Winternight Trilogy but I do want to re-read it before picking up the sequel and finishing the series and hopefully that’ll happen this year 😂 Hope you find time to re-read this year!
Thanks, Dini! Sorcery of Thorns is one I KEEP meaning to reread but then I have all these other books staring at me. I’m hoping I can make time for it. 🙂
I rarely reread books, but I wish I did! I’ve always wanted to read the Vampire Empire series😁
The Vampire Empire series is soooo much fun. I used to reread a lot more than I do now, I wish I wasn’t so buried under my TBR. But I also kind of like that? LOL
I will hopefully be reading Sorcery of Thorns for the first time this year!! 🤞some books I’ve been in the mood to reread since last year are The Hating Game and Red, White & Royal Blue.
I’ve reread Red, White, & Royal Blue about 4 times so I can’t blame you there, that book is so much fun. I hope you enjoy Sorcery of Thorns, I really loved that one!
You know, I just read Fire and Hemlock for the first time last year, and I enjoyed it so I think you will find it holds up well!
Oh, that’s good to know, thanks!
I’m so intrigued by The House of Shattered Wings! And The Bear and The Nightingale was on my TBR last year but unfortunately didn’t happen. Hope you get to reread all of these! 💜
The one thing I really remember about The House of Shattered Wings is that it had such wonderfully dark atmosphere to the writing. Hope you’re able to check out The Bear and the Nightingale soon!
Ooh, now I’m definitely sold lol! Thank you so much!
I loved the Winternight trilogy and would like to read it again at some point. I’ve tried audio but tend to zone out too, I don’t know why. Perhaps I should try an audio reread, see if that hold my attention better.
Yeah, I’m hoping the print version will work out better for me with that one. Sometimes audiobooks are fine and sometimes I just zone lol.
The title “Vampire Empire” caught my attention right away – and how could it be any different, since I enjoy a good vampire story? 😉 But your mention of a steampunk, post-apocalyptic setting makes this a “must read ASAP” series!
Yeah, I’m a huge fan of vampires so I was SUPER excited when I happened across these. They’re so much fun!
I recently received The House of Shattered Wings via book subscription service and knew nothing about it, so its nice to hear someone’s thoughts. I have been looking at the authors backlist and it all sounds so intriguing!
I really love her writing, she is GREAT at creating an atmosphere. I do have to reread this one though haha. 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!
I have the opposite problem where I think I reread too much. I just really enjoy revisiting books either to try something I love again or to see what I missed. I would like to try Bear and the Nightingale again. I didn’t like it as much as others when I read it, and I think it’s because I hyped it too much to myself so my expectations were unnaturally high.
I don’t see that rereading is a problem–read whatever makes you feel good. Before my TBR got out of hand there were certain books I reread once a year or every couple of years.
I didn’t enjoy The Bear and the Nightingale as much either but also I don’t remember much about it–one of the reasons I want to try again in a different format. Expectations can really mess you up with a book sometimes.
UGH, I want to reread both of Rogerson’s books so bad. I also feel like I have no time to reread anymore (I say while in the middle of rereading Stiefvater’s Wolves series), and I always feel guilty for trying to reread while my TBR is overflowing, but it’s so much fun to reread!
You’re right, it’s the eternal struggle LOL.
I would love to reread some of my old favourites but I am so far behind with review books, newly bought books and series that I really couldn’t go there atm.
I totally get it–I have that huge TBR to get to LOL. I still would like to reread some though. My thing this year is to try and not feel guilty about my reading choices. 🙂
Sorcery of Thorns is my everything and I 100% need to read it again. Oh my god does it push all my favorite buttons. I used to reread a ton when I was younger, but now I just feel like I’m playing endless catch-up and never have time! The one exception I foresee in the future is for my Great Series Read, when I finally want to tackle a full series but know I need to reread book one because I’ve forgotten EVERYTHING.
It’s soooo good, and I have you to thank for recommending it to me! It’s just……yes. It’s so good. LOL
I also used to spend a lot more time rereading, like you I don’t have much time for it these days. But I’m going to try and make some time because I’d like to revisit some of these, also because I’ve forgotten one or two of them and I’d like to read the rest of the series! It’s so annoying when that happens lol.