HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL! And happy last day of October. I didn’t have a fantastic reading month by my standards, but it wasn’t a total bust eitehr. Overall I managed to finish 10 books in October. Not bad by any means however this is WAY lower than my normal amount of reads! Of course, I do have 4 manga volumes out from the library so maybe I’ll hurry up and read those today to beef up my numbers HAHAHA. (Look, 2020 is crap for reading and I’m getting a little desperate lol.)
- 9 novels, 1 novella
- 7 Speculative Fiction–6 Fantasy, 1 Horror–3 YA, 4 Adult
- 3 Romance–2 Contemporary, 1 Historical
Favorite Reads of the Month:
Well this was an odd month, almost all my favorite books were romances. (If you like HisRoms I HIGHLY recommend the super feminist and totally trope flipping book The Rakess by Scarlett Peckham–that book is fierce.)
But let’s move on to speculative fiction because that’s what this blog is all about. 🙂
- Ten Thousand Stitches by Olivia Atwater. This is a sequel to Half a Soul but they’re only really in the same universe and share one character that shows up near the end so honestly you don’t need to read the first one to enjoy this book. This is a fantasy romance that starts out fairly typical and then goes to some unexpected places. I also love that Olivia’s books are not just romances but talk a lot about the plight of people dealing with worker’s rights and the plight of the poor.
- The Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco. This was the final book in The Bone Witch trilogy and wow, what an ending. This series has such wonderful world–building and magic and it’s not afraid to go to some very dark places. Love it.
October’s Book Reviews:
I got out 9 reviews this past month, woot! That’s about average for me so overall I’m on track! I’ll admit that I did get a little bit behind in reading and had to rearrange my original review schedule but luckily all that panicking happened behind the scenes. 🙂
- Crave by Tracy Wolff – 3.5/5 stars
- Heart of Stone by Johannes T. Evans – 5/5 stars
- Grave Secrets by Alice James – 4.5/5 stars
- Diamonds and Daggers by Nancy Warren – 4.5/5 stars
- Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop – 4.5/5 stars
- A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan – 3.5/5 stars
- Frostbite by Richelle Mead – 4/5 stars
- The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller – 4/5 stars
- Dracula’s Child by J.S. Barnes – 4/5 stars
Not that many ‘other’ posts this month but I’m still sticking to my one discussion post per month so go me! 🙂
Plans for November:
First let’s take a step back and see how I did with October’s plans. I wanted to mostly Halloween theme my blog–check! Did a pretty good job reviewing books to fit the theme and I even temporarily changed my WoW posts to Halloween Highlights. I also wanted to try and make more progress on my bingo card and welp, I didn’t read anymore books that are on my bingo list. But that’s okay because I did read some books that would count anyway if I switch out what I was planning to read with what I actually read. So maybe still a win? Also was trying to finish up one or two more eARCs and I did! Mission accomplished! Last but not least–continue mood reading–well, I got kind of lost trying to get my eARCs read and so didn’t try to mood read too much (although I did a bit of mood reading still) so I think it’s going to be
For November I plan to MOOD READ. I do have a couple of things planned for Scifi Month but mostly I’m just trying to catch up with some 2020 releases and go where my mood takes me. Bingo would be nice but I’m not going to push myself. Maybe I won’t even finish my card this year! Who cares? It’s 2020 so things are wild.
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!