Well, September was a crazy month for me filled with Chaos. Business at work continued to drop off which means all our jobs are on the line if sales don’t pick up soon so, anxiety. I also spent the entire month getting my bathroom renovated. And then my husband and I bought him a brand new car because why not? I will be so glad when this year is over hahahaha.
Despite all the chaos I still managed to have a pretty good month in reading, although I did have a little mini-slump near the end. Hopefully that won’t carry over into October because I have plans and I need to stay motivated!
Overall I managed to finish twelve books over September, which is about three per week on average so not bad at all!
- 12 novels
- 10 Speculative Fiction (2 Science Fiction, 2 Paranormal Mystery, 2 YA Fantasy, 4 Adult Fantasy)
- 2 Romance (1Contemporary, 1 Historical)
Favorite Reads of the Month:
Even though I enjoyed all my reading this past month, only a couple of books REALLY stood out to me above and beyond the others. That’s not to say the other books I read were bad by any means, but in a month of feeling very ‘meh’ these books made me get excited and feel lots of feelings.
- The Midnight Bargain by C. L. Polk – I just LOVED this one. It was a dose of feminism and social commentary that also had a very enjoyable romance. The magic was interesting and I loved the characters. Overall a fantastic read that I will be pushing on people.
- Heart of Stone by Johannes T. Evans – Another book that I absolutely LOVED. This one is a historical queer romance featuring a vampire and it’s everything I love in a book. Gentle characters, slice of life storytelling, and the romance actually IS the plot for once. I just….really loved this book, y’all.
September’s Book Reviews:
I managed to get out 9 reviews in September, which is pretty average for me. I try to do two a week and it worked out well this past month!
- Amber & Dusk by Lyra Selene – 4/5 stars
- The Queen’s Road by R.S. Belcher – 4/5 stars
- Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko – 5/5 stars
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton – 4/5 stars
- Lord of Stariel by A.J. Lancaster – 5/5 stars
- The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron – 4.5/5 stars
- Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop – 4.5/5 stars
- The Midnight Bargain by C. L. Polk – 5/5 stars
- Mary Quirk and the Secret of Umbrum Hall by Anna St. Vincent – 4/5 stars
- Twenty Books of Summer Wrap Up
- On Book Recommendations
- The TBR Tag
- The Waffle Book Tag
- 90’s Music Book Tag
Plans for October:
First let’s take a step back and see how I did with September’s plans. I wanted to continue mood reading–check! I also wanted to try and get a couple of more bingo books read and I got one read so that’s not too bad. It’s progress at least!
For October I plan to have my blog be *mostly* Halloween themed. As a consequence my TBR will also reflect that. I still hope to do mood reading and make more progress on my bingo card–we’ll see how that goes though. I also have one or two more ARCs that I’d like to get read and maybe do some reading as prep for Sci-Fi month in November. That sounds like a lot but I think there’s some overlap in those goals so it shouldn’t be too hard to hit a few of them. 🙂
And, that about sums things up. How was your month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!
15 thoughts on “Monthly Wrap Up: September 2020”
Hope October will be less stressful for you and work sorts out as well! ☺️
Looks like you had a good mood reading month even though it turned out a bit meh 🙂
Thanks, Ivy! It wasn’t too bad overall. 🙂
Despite your slump I think you still killed it, Lisa! I’m trying to read more Halloween themed books next month too. Hopefully we’ll both have spooky Octobers😁
Thanks, Tammy! Yay for spooky October! Let the haunting begin! Or something like that…haha. 🙂
Looks like you had a good reading month! I’m about to start The Midnigjht Bargain, so I’m glad to see it as one of your faves!
Thanks, it was pretty good overall. 🙂 Ooooh, enjoy! Looking forward to your thoughts on it!
Hope work is okay – it’s very stressful isn’t it.
Otherwise you had a great month and 9 reviews is excellent too.
I have quite a few witchy books coming up that I’m looking forward to and also excited to pick up the Polk.
I hope so too, my boss is paying everything with credit right now so it’s not a good sign but we’ll see–maybe we’ll get a huge sale that will save us for a while!
Thanks, Lynn! I feel like I didn’t have a huge month but it was still a lot of books and my blogging didn’t falter so I’m probably just feeling meh for silly reasons. 🙂
Good luck with your witchy reads. 🙂
Congrats on the new car lol! I’m planning on reading mostly spooky books in October as well, but that may mean sidelining The Name of the Wind for a second month
Thank you! I’m sure my husband is enjoying it, he went out and bought seat covers and such for it, it’s his new baby haha. 🙂
Yay for spooky October! It should be a fun month.
I can’t say I blame him lol! And I agree!!
Lol I think I’ve been hoping for better months and wishing everyone a better month every month so far this year. Now I just hope 2021 will be better, a vacation when compared to 2020. 🙂
Yeah, I know what you mean. This year is like the nightmare that never ends and only gets weirder and more nightmarish and everytime you think something good is on the horizon then something awful happens again.
Here’s to 2021!