Well, what a weird month March has been, surely one that will go down in history.
March has been a REALLY tough reading month for me. I think it started off pretty good but then I got bogged down in not really being in the mood and just…not having time due to all the extra things I got involved with (helping organize an online convention, running book bingo, editing a podcast, etc).
Somehow, I managed to finish eleven books though! One sff manga, one sff novella, one thriller, two romances, and six sff novels. Eleven is not a bad number at all, although a bit on the low side for me personally. I’d really hoped to tackle more books this month but no one predicted life would suddenly get so…surreal.
Favorite Reads of the Month:
- Blood Lines by Tanya Huff – I am loving this series still! How it ends up will determine if it becomes one of my favorite UF of all time, but for now it’s a lot of fun. This ‘episode’ features an ancient mummy! We get some relationship stuff between Vicki, Mike and Henry (oh love triangles) and I really liked that this seemed to focus on all three of the characters individually as well.
- Yona of the Dawn vol 21 by Mizuho Kusanagi – This continues to be both a fantastic sprawling epic featuring battles and politics on a grand scale AND an intensely personal story focusing on the individual characters. Loving it.
- The Electric Heir by Victoria Lee – This is such a powerful series, imo. It’s deals with some very dark stuff but the character growth is great, the healing and heartbreak–it has it all. It’s very emotionally engaging and takes place in an interesting futuristic world filled with a cool combination of science and magic.
March’s Book Reviews:
Still doing fantastic on keeping up with reviews (of course, it’s helped that I haven’t finished much the last wee or so…). I had a good bit of these scheduled before the month even began, that’s how caught up I am. I really hope I keep up this momentum when my reading picks up again.
- The Fever King by Victoria Lee – 4.5 stars
- The Rise of the Magicks by Nora Roberts – 4/5 stars
- The Demons We See by Krista D. Ball – 5/5 stars
- Blindsight by Peter Watts – 3/5 stars
- Tournament of Losers by Megan Derr – 5/5 stars
- The Killing Fog by Jeff Wheeler – 4/5 stars
- My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due – 4.5/5 stars
- A Heart so Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer – 3.5/5 stars
- The Electric Heir by Victoria Lee – 4.5/5 stars
Once again not a ton of other posts aside from reviews and meme posts. I did manage to do one discussion post again though, so I’m keeping up with my goal for one a month. Also have some update posts on a couple of my yearly reading challenges. So far I’m off to a very slow start with both of them…
- March TBR Pile
- Rereads: Comfort Reading vs The Ever Growing TBR
- Announcing r/Fantasy Virtual Con!
- StartOnYourShelfaThon – 1st Quarter Update
- 2020 Audiobook Challenge – 1st Quarter Update
Plans for April:
Let’s first see how I did with March’s plans! In March I wanted to finish up all of my bingo reading and I barely managed to get through it all, but I did finish so yay! And phew–nothing like waiting til the last minute! I also wanted to read some books for review and I got two crossed off my list but I still have two others PLUS 2 more that I got eARCs for from netgalley (whoops!) So, two steps forward, two steps back?
For April, we’re starting a new bingo period. At first I wasn’t going to do bingo but it turns out I do have books in my TBR Pile of Doom that fit every square on the card so I might start on that and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I also have those review books that I need to get to. My main goal, now that some of my ‘required reading’ is done with (aside from those review copies) is to really buckle down on my TBR Pile of Doom and start on those back list titles—some of those might be 2020 bingo reads, some of them might be for #StartOnYourShelfathon, and some of them might just be mood reads. Wish me luck because I surely have A LOT of books ahead of me and I’ve been very distracted lately. What are your plans for April? How did your March go? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!