2019 Audiobook Challenge – 3rd Quarter Update

audiobook-challeng-2018

This year I decided to sign up for the Audiobook challenge run by Hot Listens and Caffeinated Reviewer because it sounded like a lot of fun and just my type of thing since I already listen to a lot of audiobooks. More details about the challenge can be found in my original post here.

Levels of achievement:

• Newbie (I’ll give it a try) 1-5
  • Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) 5-10
  • Stenographer (can listen while multitasking) 10-15
  • Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) 15-20
  • Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) 20-30
  • My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) 30+
  • Marathoner (Look Ma No Hands) 50+

Only a little over three months to go, let’s check in and see how I’m doing with this one!

Here’s a list of all the books I’ve listened to so far this year:

1. Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts
  39. The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
  40. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
  41. Sunshine by Robin McKinley
  42. Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau-Preto
  43. Part-Time Gods by Rachel Aaron
  44. Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff
  45. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
  46. Wicked Fox by Kat Cho

I’ve read 14 more audiobooks since my last update! Probably could have been more but a couple of them (Last Bastion – 24 hrs, 31 mins & The Priory of the Orange Tree – 25 hrs, 52 mins) were very long. I only have a one more very long audiobook planned for this year (planned, but we’ll see hahah) and that is Dark Age by Pierce Brown, clocking in at a whopping 34 hours! Hoooo boy.

At this point I don’t see a way that I won’t make the Marathoner level of achievement–it will only be a matter of how many can I get above that. 😀

Are you participating in this challenge? How are you doing with it? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!

33 thoughts on “2019 Audiobook Challenge – 3rd Quarter Update

1. evelynreads1 says:

Because of this post I got curious to how many audiobooks I’ve listened so far this year.. And if I counted correctly I’m currently listening to my 60th! audiobook of the year! But then I have to admit I have listened to quite some shorter ones! With longer audiobooks I tend to get distracted near the end..

(www.evelynreads.com)

2. Jorie says:

Hallo, Hallo,…

I haven’t posted updates for my reading challenges (as of yet) though today, I am attempting to write an edition of #TheSundayPost (lol). According to my readathon post – I’ve listened to 10x – wait, is that right? Hmm. I know I’ve *sampled!* far more than that.. had a bit of a go yesterday and was truly captured by a new British narrator – the cheek of the humour had me in stitches and of course, then right as its turnt into this corker of a comedy, it goes dearly dramatic on me! lol

Of the lot I’ve heard, the top 3x thus far were:

For #TeamKayHunter – “Bridge to Burn” – this is the series I was referencing to you the other day as being one of my *top favourite* finds of recent years… the narrator truly secured me inside it as she has such a conveyance of the character to where you just feel its breathed into reality

“The Wonkiest Witch” – wicked debut of a series I can’t wait to gather more editions from as the author has a keen sense of humour but also owns the narrative of which the story has roots.

“The Awakening” – first of a trilogy – must get Scribd back to finish and I’m telling you it has so many hidden layers and cross-references into other #SpecLit influences it gives your brain a hearty think as you’re reading a supposed dramatic Speculative novel!

And, being a Janeite – I *loved!* finding Rational Creatures!!! Can’t wait to listen to more of this lovely as I read through more of Austen!

— reminds me I need to re-look at my readathons and see where I am in regards to half of them; I stopped adding to my LT challenge ages ago and I never sorted out Pop Sugar either.. one of these days! I have a quarter left of the year!

• Jorie says:

You can take a look-see at what I’m working on via readathons/reading challenges meanwhile, I wanted to add a thought to how your doing with yours,…

The audiobooks which also interest me to give a go of a listen:

* My Lady Jane
      * The Kingdom of Copper (after I listen to City of Brass)
      * The Night Tiger (loved her debut!)
      * Sorocery of Thorns
      * The Priory of the Orange Tree

— I attempted to listen to Wicked Fox but for whichever reason it wasn’t working for me – I wonder if you wrote a post about your takeaways? Maybe I should re-attempt it sometime.

I really loved the audio of My Lady Jane, that book was hilarious and the audio really added to it, the way it’s narrated brings the humor out.
        I also love the audio for the Daevabad trilogy! Those are great listens.
        Priory was pretty good in audio and I recommend it in that for nothing else because it’s so very long and audio was easier for me to digest haha. 🙂
        Sorcery was also great in audio although for the narration I don’t think it particularly stood out, but that was another fun book!
        I also LOVE The Ghost Bride–one of my favorite books! I thought The Night Tiger was a strong follow up, but I still liked The Ghost Bride just a bit more. The author reads the book for the audio version and she did a wonderful job! 🙂

• Jorie says:

Ooh you are getting me wicked excited now to dig into these #AudioReads!! I love your little snippets of after thoughts & revelations! Isn’t that the truth though? How narrators can anchour us into the stories in ways that cannot always be replicated otherwise?

PS: I made one of those Avatars a moment ago and lost it; somehow I hit the wrong button and it went *poof!* – le sigh.

All of those sound fantastic, I’ll have to check them out. The Wonkiest Witch sounds like it’s fun from the title alone, I like cheeky! 😀
      I’m doing way too many challenges right now, a book bingo, this audio challenge, three different personal reading goals (one of which has been a somewhat failure and another which has been a total failure–but one out of three is going strong! lol) and then various other smaller challenges that have popped up over the year… Hoping these last three months I can at least finish strong with what I’ve got going on. 😀

• Jorie says:

You’re load sounds like mine! We do seem to get ourselves into pickles, eh? I need to sort out where the heck I am if I ever hope to finish the year strong; though mind, I’m just thankful this final quarter is with less migraines than the rest of the year; truly that’s a blessing in of itself – I stumbled to sort out how to handle the load I devised for myself as it was a struggle most months just to read/blog/tweet! I mean, I just revived my own Twitter chat! lol

I think you’d love her — here’s the review of mine for Wonky Witch

Life of a reader lol! Glad that your migraines were a little better lately. I hope the last quarter of the year is a good one for you! I also need to sort out where I stand with things–haven’t updated my reading tracker since Feb or March and it’s where I track all of my stats–I’ll need that up to date come December.
        Thanks, I’ll check it out! 😀

• Jorie says:

I am enjoying the reprieve and the ability to read again. I am even getting back into Non-Fiction which is something I had table because like the larger Fantasy Reads in May, it was too hard to focus on til now…

3. Alexandra says:

Currently listening to Priory of the Orange Tree and it’s alright. I personally recommend the audiobooks for The Witcher series. One of the best acted I’ve come across!
    Any recommendation from the ones you’ve read?

Thanks, I’ll keep that one in mind! Is there any type of fantasy you prefer? Epic? YA? Urban?
      A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World is one of the best books I’ve read this year, the audio is pretty well done as well. It’s a post apocalyptic story but it’s not nihilistic or anything and is actually pretty hopeful.

Thanks! I’ve had a lot of listening time, I guess, because I can often get a lot of books in while at work. And audio at least have kept me reading when I don’t feel like reading print so they’ve been a big help. 🙂 You can do it! 12 isn’t bad at all!