20 Books of Summer Challenge – Final Wrap Up #20BooksofSummer

20booksofsummer

To recap, the 20 Books of Summer challenge is created and hosted by Cathy from 746 Books. The rules are simple – pick 20 books (or 10 or 15) to read over the Summer (June 3rd-September 3rd) in order to reduce our TBR piles. I’m tried for 25 Books of Summer because I’m crazy and like a challenge. 🙂

Welp, here we are at the end of Summer reading! Where did the past three months go? They sure flew by. Let’s see how I did with my Summer TBR pile.

PHYSICAL BOOKS IN THE TBR MOUNTAIN

AUDIOBOOKS IN THE TBR MOUNTAIN

1. The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
  2. Last Bastion by Rachel Aaron and Travis Bach
  3. Beautiful by Juliet Marillier
  4. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
  5. Touch by Claire North

Let’s see, how did I do with this? Well, I didn’t finish. But! I made great progress with my overall TBR pile.

• I got through several books from earlier in the year that would have ended up on my backlist otherwise
  • Checked off ARCs that were due (a couple that weren’t on this list, too)
  • Managed to make some headway with my long overdue review requests.

So, while I am slightly disappointed not to have crossed off every book on this list, I am also extremely happy with my overall achievement. This really helped keep me on track with some of my goals while keeping the pool of books big enough (mostly) to appease my mood reading spirit.

I finished 19/25 books. Now, I did read a lot more than that this Summer overall, I still got distracted by books outside my TBR pile. As per usual. I’ve had a lot of fun with this though, and because of what I’ve learned, I think I have a better strategy going into my Autumn TBR and how to keep from straying from it so much. We’ll see. 🙂

Thanks again to Cathy for running this challenge, it’s been fantastic and I’ve had a lot of fun with it!

28 thoughts on “20 Books of Summer Challenge – Final Wrap Up #20BooksofSummer

Thanks! Well, hard to pick, there were so many. The Dragon Republic was amazing, so was Storm of Locusts. Others I lived for different reasons. Touch and Strange the Dreamer were weird and lovely and sad. A Song for a New Day was great love letter to music with some commentary on consumerism and technology and politics all wrapped up into a slightly dystopian future. The Beast’s Heart was just…<3<3<3
      Honestly, there wasn't much I didn't love. 🙂

1. @lynnsbooks says:

Sounds like this has been a great experience and event to take part in and well done for reading 19 of your 25 books. That’s such a great achievement and must feel great to have those books off your tbr.
    Lynn 😀

2. Avery @ RedRocketPanda says:

Ahh, this sounded like such a great idea, I wish I had known about it at the beginning of Summer bc I am 99% sure my TBR is a mess and I am just picking up books willy-nilly in the hopes it will help. I am happy you achieved so much though, well done on tackling such an ambitious list.

3. imyril says:

You made great work of those lists though – and reminded me that I have a copy of The Hidden Face that I really must get round to reading too, oops. It’s been a good summer 🙂

4. Merline says:

19/25 is freaking amazing!!! Congrats on the progress you made with your TBR. I wish I could accomplish something like this. My TBR goes down by one book and then increases by 5. Lol.

5. Jorie says:

OOh! You found “The Beast’s Heart”!!

I decided to re-borrow this via audiobook from the library as I originally slated it to be heard during #WyrdAndWonder!! Ha!! I thought it would befit #Myththon2 as it is a play on worlds w/in the canon of afters for “Beauty and the Beast” which I felt is definitely worthy of the readathon as our most beloved Classics have sort of entered into this Mythos region themselves due to how many incantations there are towards re-visualising how they can be told.

BatB is one of my favorites and I guess a lot of others too because it really has been retold over and over and over and…well, you get the idea. 😉
      I thought The Beast’s Heart did a good job of showing things from Beast’s perspective, staying fairly close to the original story but still giving it a bit of its own spin. I also feel like it tried to address some of the problematic issues with the original tale–whether or not it succeeds there I think will always be up to the individual reader, but I was pleased. 🙂