I’m fond of making lists, so I thought I’d start making some list posts as a regular thing on Fridays. To keep things simple I’m just calling them Friday Favorite Five. (I briefly looked around to see if anyone was already doing something similar on Fridays, but didn’t see anything so thought I’d make my own.) These will be pretty random topics, because that’s how I roll. Please feel free to link up with your own post or let me know in the comments what your five picks are! I’ll try to make a snazzy banner or something for this by next week. 🙂
Topic schedule for the rest of July:
- July 20th – Places to Read
- July 27th – Bookstores
I’ll post August’s topics on the 27th in case anyone is interested in making their own posts on the topics.
Today’s topic: Favorite Places to Read
- Porches. I live in a row home in a relatively busy suburban/urban neighborhood. My porch isn’t that big, but it’s my little sanctuary with a taste of nature — I have a lot of plants and a couple of bird feeders nearby. I love sitting out here in the mornings on the weekends with a cup of tea and a good book
- Gardens. There are a few really great gardens that are within a day trip from my home, but one of my favorite places to spend the day is Ladew Gardens. This is a local topiary garden and historical home with fairly extensive grounds. Besides the topiary, there are plenty of other smaller gardens and even a nature walk with lots of little nooks and places you can sit and enjoy some time reading. There’s even a koi pond that’s very relaxing to sit by.
- Vacation. Okay, so this one is cheating a bit because it’s not really one type of place, but I love to read while on vacation. I like to relax on vacation and what could be more relaxing than curling up with a good book? Whether I’m on a beach listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean, curling up in a book nook in a cute little b&b, or enjoying a cabin in the woods with a lovely view of a pond, I usually have a book in hand.
- Bed. I know, I know–reading in bed is bad for your sleep. And it’s true. I don’t know how many times I’ve stayed up past my bedtime because I got way too involved with a book. Sometimes they’re hard to put down! But, it’s relaxing to read in bed and when I’ve had an especially busy day it may be the only time I get to enjoy a few chapters. Plus, my bedroom is sort of also my library at the moment, so it’s just a great atmosphere for reading. 🙂
- Pretty much anywhere else. Curled up with the cat, on lunch break at the office, listening to audiobooks while working out at the gym or at work when I’m not answering phone calls–these are a few places I like to read. I also do a lot of audibook-ing during my commute. With modern technology, I can whip out my cell phone and read some of an ebook whenever I have some time to kill. It’s really easy to read pretty much anywhere these days!