Hello friends! Still blocked from writing reviews it seems (sad trombone sound) so I thought I’d do a bit of a personal post today and share some things you may or may not know about me (depending on how long you’ve followed me). I tend to be an over-sharer by nature but also I love getting to know the blogger behind the books and maybe some of you enjoy that too. So here we are.
Age: Ancient bog witch of indeterminate age (aka currently having a mid-life crisis)
Hmmm, a few things about myself.
- I’ve only moved once in my life when I moved out of my parent’s house to my own house and it’s about a mile from my old house–I wanted to get away from my parents (complicated! family! relationships!) but because of my rampant anxiety I didn’t get my driver’s license until I was 30 I still needed rides to work which was nearby at the time. (Yikes!)
- When I was in college (about a thousand years ago) I joined the LGBTQIA+ club my friend was trying to form with some others because they needed more numbers. I was like ‘but I’m not gay’ and then I wound up becoming the secretary and having a huge crush on the president of the club who was a woman. (Somehow, despite this and years and years of other evidence to the contrary, I was still mostly in denial about being bisexual until, well, somewhat recently.)
- Also while I was in college I became obsessed with anime. Look–going to date myself here–but at the time the Canadian adaptation of Sailor Moon was showing on tv and I was like ‘omg, what *is* this it’s *amazing*’ and one of my friends from high school was also in my college and I mentioned it to her and she had friends that were into it and before you know it we were binge watching a VHS that was a really shitty copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a fan subtilted Escaflowne (look, this is how we did it back in the old days okay? there was no streaming anything!) and that was all she wrote. I went to conventions, I bought tons of merch, I got in deep (I joined *fandoms* and did fanart and wrote fic back before AO3 was even a thing, we were using *mailing lists*–I’m old y’all). I still watch anime and now and then but I read manga more and I have an entire room dedicated to my 90’s anime stuff which I still have because it’s always going to be cool to me. Some early-mid 2000’s anime was also very good. Favorites include: Escaflowne, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, Ouran High School Host Club, Rurouni Kenshin, Fruits Basket.
- My husband and I started dating when I was 23. He’s the first person I dated other than just a single date. We’ve been together for 20 years! That’s a long ass time! In all the time we’ve been together we’ve only been on 3 ‘going away for more than a day or two real honest to goodness’ vacations together. Twice to New England (to visit his mom’s family) and once to Las Vegas. Still, we both love traveling, visiting museums, seeing sights, being a tourist!
- I used to draw and paint (mostly with oils) and I was really into that but I stopped altogether several years ago and I don’t know why. Did I grow out of it? Is it because I suddenly had more things to occupy my time? I don’t know. But I am really out of practice and kind of suck at it now but I do sometimes have notions that I’d like to get back into it one day. I wasn’t terrible at it back in the day.
- I’ve always been a huge reader but until the last four or five years I never usually read more than 50 books a year and sometimes I’d go a year with only reading a dozen books! Being involved in book communities (first reddit, then twitter, then blogging) has really spurred on my love of reading and I’ve been reading more to try and keep up with my ever-growing TBR (hahaha *glances at huge piles of books waiting to be read). I love all my friends from the book community! Y’all are awesome.
- Some time around 7ish years ago I started getting really into tea and collecting tea related things. Look–I just love collecting things altogether–that is a fact. So…now I have a lot of teacups, teapots, dishes, etc. Even though I love tea I do drink about a cup of coffee a day! I may even drink more coffee than tea these days just because it’s more convenient to pick up on my way to work in the morning. I like my coffee black please and thank you. Cream and sugar is just too much.
- I don’t have any real personal style? Like some people have a very distinct style and mine is all over the place. Sometimes I like wearing cute dresses, sometimes I like wearing jeans and a t-shirt, sometimes I look very frat-boy and sometimes my hair is in braids and pigtails and I’m in frilly outfits. Sometimes I dress my age and sometimes I’m like ’20 year old Lisa would have loved that, wait 40some year old Lisa still loves that–fuck it, age is just a number y’all, I’m wearing this’. So I guess my style is ‘whatever I’m feeling that day’.
- Anxiety and depression are things that I’ve struggled with most of my life. Looking back I can recognize that I have been living with this since childhood. I think if I had known back then, if my parents had known and gotten me help, maybe my life would be different now? But also my dad had his own anxiety and depression issues and was too busy self-medicating to really care about anyone else and my mom can be just a tad self-centered. I worry sometimes that in addition to inheriting these mental health issues that I’ve also inherited the worst of my parent’s traits (short temper, lashes out at others when angry/anxious, also a bit self-centered, addictive personality). But then all you can do really is recognize things about yourself and try to do better and really that’s where I’m at in life–trying to do better. Even though I wonder about the past I try not to have regrets because you can’t change what’s already been done.
- I use humor as a self-defense mechanism. I am really fat and I used to have a lot more issues with my self-confidence but I’m doing better with that (I think part of that comes with age–the older I get the less fucks I give?). But yeah when I’m in a room full of people I default to being ‘on’ like I feel like I have to entertain everyone for some reason. Like the only reason people would like me is because I can make them laugh. Even online sometimes I am like this! When I was on facebook all the time I’d always write humorous things about how my old job drove me crazy and the things that went on there and every. single. time. I would run into someone I hadn’t seen in a while they’d always say ‘I love your work stories on facebook–you’re hilarious!’ which was okay, thanks! But also made me realize ‘dang, maybe I have a problem?’ I don’t know. I don’t know if it is a ‘problem’ but it’s certainly something I do.
Anyway, that’s about enough personal stuff for now. I’ve spilled my guts all over this page. Maybe got a little too personal, but that’s also who I am. Feel free to ask me any questions, or not–I don’t mind either way. Also, I’d really like to apologize about the lack of blog-hopping again. I do miss catching up and seeing all your posts. I don’t know why I keep not doing it. I thank those of you that are still checking in with me now and then and frankly am surprised that everyone hasn’t abandoned me. Hopefully I can get back to ‘normal’ soon, but for now I’m still kind of in a weird place mentally at the moment and I’m doing my best to work through that. Cheers. ❤
Here are some bonus pics:
31 thoughts on “Oversharing Saturday”
I think it’s great you can share personal parts of your life. And while I wasn’t a super fan, I do remember discovering Sailor Moon and getting into it for a while. I love your tea collection! Take care, Lisa😁
Thanks, Tammy! Oh, I watched Sailor Moon and fell hard for anime LOL. 🙂 Thank you! I probably have too much tea stuff but it’s so much fun to collect.
I love getting to know more about the blogger behind the books. Thanks for sharing Lisa. The only things I really collect are books and mail polish!!
Thank you! Nail polish sounds like something that could be fun to collect! I only have two colors haha.
I love painting my nails!!
That’s awesome! I wish I was more into it, unfortunately I am no good at it haha.
I didn’t used to be good at it either but I started watching YouTube videos and have gotten way better at it.
Oh, that’s really cool! I didn’t even think of that.
Yeah it has helped me a lot.
Lisa, thank you for sharing all of this. I’m sorry for your struggles and totally identify with many of them. I appreciate your honestly. Self confidence is a huge one. Sometimes I feel like it cripples me daily. I wish it were an easy fix. Anxiety and depression are huge ones too. I’m amazed at how many people (in just the blogging community even) struggle with it. The only thing that’s helped me is self-talk and reminding myself ‘this too shall pass’, which seems generic, but it helps me.
Also, your pics are absolutely beautiful. I loved Sailor Moon. ❤️ I still have a shirt that I wear (Luna) often. Can’t wait to show my daughter these pics. You guys have a lot on common. She’s sort of an amime freak right now at the age of 15. It seems to have become madly popular, hasn’t it?
Take care, friend. I don’t comment all the time, but I’m still here reading your posts. Hugs ❤️
It’s really hard with some things because it’s not like you can just say ‘hey don’t let this get to you!’ because there’s no rationality behind it. I’m sorry that you struggle too, it’s so tough sometimes, totally get that. I do think it helps to know we’re not alone!
Thank you! Sailor Moon is so much fun! Oh that’s really cool that your daughter is into it! It really did take off in the last…20 years? With it being available on so many streaming sites and even having its own sites it’s so much more accessible so I can see how it’s picked up in popularity. The last time I went to my local convention it was probably 6ish years ago and there were 30,000 people in attendance! The first one I went to in 1998 there were less than 5000 lol.
Thanks for checking in and I do hope to get back to reading your posts soon. ❤
Personally, I love getting personal with other bloggers though it takes some time for me to warm up to people! Haha!
I love how you said that despite what you may or may not have inherited from your family, you gotta work on yourself. It resonated with me and I agree wholeheartedly! I sometimes worry I’ve inherited a short temper or some self-centeredness from my family, but I work on myself anyway because even recognising this is enough evidence that I can be different.
Also, I love your tea collection! I love collecting mugs but, with the lack of my own space and travelling, I haven’t really been collecting much these days.
Yeah, I like getting to know people too! I feel like it’s what keeps every book blog from feeling kind of the same–we’re all so different even if we have this hobby in common. 🙂
Thank you! Yeah, I think self-awareness is a huge first step in working on things because if you never realize you’re doing a behavior you can’t correct it. I still mess up sometimes but it’s all part of the process. ❤
I like mugs too but I don't have a lot of room for those, I have a certain space for them in my cupboard and that's it, so I'm pretty picky with the ones I decide to hold on to. 🙂
it’s totally okay if you’re not in a reviewing or blog-hopping mood, everyone gets burnt out sometimes! this was a really cool post, i love getting to know the blogger behind the blog haha. i’m actually in the middle of watching fruits basket right now! and i adore your tea room (it gives me pride and prejudice vibes!) and your anime room! great post💜
Yeah, I keep not wanting to admit it but I did totally get burnt out. I’m still hanging in though and looking forward to getting back in full form!
Thanks, Kaya! I love getting to know other bloggers too. I hope you’re enjoying Fruits Basket! I started when they had the reboot and I need to get back to it–I want to see the rest of the story in an anime because the original only covered a small portion of all the manga (I think around 8 volumes?)
Awww, thanks! I love Pride and Prejudice, so yay!
you’ve got this! and i am, i’m on season 2 of the reboot and its so good. really??? interesting, i wonder why they did that!
Ohh, I really need to catch up then! At the time of the original anime the author was still in the middle of writing the manga. They should have made a season 2 or something later but the never did.
oh wow, that’s upsetting!
Yeah, but at least we’re getting the reboot now! 😀
The pictures are amazing!! 😍 And there is not a thing like “too many tea cups”. I am more a coffee person, I am Italian so it is practically a given but I love tea too, and I may have too many different kinds of tea in my cupboard but ehy, you don’t never know which one would better suit the mood of the moment!!
Also, take care!! ❤️
Thanks, Susy! Yeah, I like to think there’s not a thing as ‘too many’ but eventually you do start to run out of space haha. Yes, I feel the same way about tea! Different teas for different moods. 😀 Thank you! Hope you are doing well. ❤
We all go through some blogger-fatigue phases now and then, so you don’t have to worry about it: the drive will come back one of these days. Meanwhile, it’s been delightful learning more about a fellow blogger and bookworm! 🙂
Yeah, it’s definitely a fatigue type thing for sure. Thank you! ❤
I’m currently watching and am obsessed with Attack on Titan. I wouldn’t call myself an anime fan necessarily just because I have watched so little. Previous to this, my big anime love was Inuyasha and Desert Punk. But I’m riding the wave of wanting to watch anime while it’s happening. There is obviously a huge backlog of options. 🙂
Oh, I got really into AoT for a while–it’s all the twists and turns that kept coming up really impressed me in the first couple of seasons.
I really need to watch Inuyasha–it’s a classic anime that is probably right up my alley but I’ve never watched it for whatever reason!
There definitely are tons of options!
Thanks for letting us know more about you, Lisa. I love the setup of your anime room and the tea stuff.
I also didn’t get my driver’s license until I was 30, mostly out of stubbornness because I didn’t get what’s the big deal. And that’s so cool that you paint. I admire artists who work with paints because I find it so hard to get the colors right when I do.
I think it was really tough for me to get my DL because of the whole anxiety thing but once I started driving I was like ‘wow I can go anywhere, freeeeeedoooomm’ and was kind of kicking myself that I didn’t get it sooner LOL.
Yeah, painting can be hard. Like anything it takes practice. If I ever get back into it I’ll have to really spend a lot of time practicing before I can get back to the level I was at before–it’s not *exactly* like riding a bike hah.
LISA! THE TEA! OH MY GOSH! Okay, serious goals over here, I am so envious of how amazing your tea collection is. Someday, when I have more space to branch out, I’m just going to sprawl my tea stuff everywhere.
I totally feel you on wanting to get away from your family. I lived in an apartment for a year a few years back, and it was truly the most wonderful experience ever. I would have kept living there, too, if my roommate hadn’t gone to California, but ended up having to move back home, and it’s just–college loans are the worst, I could have my own damn house without them. And living with my parents is really less than ideal, and I have a lot of the same fears as you, but I think that the very fact that we’re aware those traits may possibly show up in our own personalities means that we’re already a step ahead of making sure they don’t turn into toxic traits.
Also, oh my gosh, mailing lists for fanfiction! I came into the scene right around the birth of fandoms on Livejournal, but we were still circulating mailing lists for everyone’s favorites until more official Livejournals got off the ground, and I totally forgot about that. Wow. It’s wild how far we’ve come since then, haha!
Yeah, I love all my tea stuff. If I had more room I’d have even more of it LOL. Even not having space I’m not ruling things out hahahaha.
I don’t like to have regrets but I do feel like I missed an opportunity by not moving out sooner and living on my own for a bit, being more independent, you know? But yeah, awareness is key!
I really loved my mailing lists lol. We were right before livejournal exploded so a bunch of us had blogger and then we mass migrated from that to livejournal and then the mailing lists died because fanfiction.net became a thing….ah…old times haha.
I think it’s good to share. You shouldn’t worry about blog hopping and reviewing. You should do what you feel in the mood for. I’ve been a very sporadic blogger since my little dog passed and my moods are up and down.
I think the only thing I’ve ever collected obsessively is books – and that did become a problem – stacks everywhere.
Lovely pics, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, sporadic is a good way to describe it. I’m so sorry about your doggie, Lynn. It’s so tough to lose a pet and even though it’s been a few weeks now sometimes it just hits you.
Yeah, I collect books too. I like collecting things–it’s a problem. I could never live in a tiny house LOL