Hello friends! Still blocked from writing reviews it seems (sad trombone sound) so I thought I’d do a bit of a personal post today and share some things you may or may not know about me (depending on how long you’ve followed me). I tend to be an over-sharer by nature but also I love getting to know the blogger behind the books and maybe some of you enjoy that too. So here we are.
Age: Ancient bog witch of indeterminate age (aka currently having a mid-life crisis)
Hmmm, a few things about myself.
- I’ve only moved once in my life when I moved out of my parent’s house to my own house and it’s about a mile from my old house–I wanted to get away from my parents (complicated! family! relationships!) but because of my rampant anxiety I didn’t get my driver’s license until I was 30 I still needed rides to work which was nearby at the time. (Yikes!)
- When I was in college (about a thousand years ago) I joined the LGBTQIA+ club my friend was trying to form with some others because they needed more numbers. I was like ‘but I’m not gay’ and then I wound up becoming the secretary and having a huge crush on the president of the club who was a woman. (Somehow, despite this and years and years of other evidence to the contrary, I was still mostly in denial about being bisexual until, well, somewhat recently.)
- Also while I was in college I became obsessed with anime. Look–going to date myself here–but at the time the Canadian adaptation of Sailor Moon was showing on tv and I was like ‘omg, what *is* this it’s *amazing*’ and one of my friends from high school was also in my college and I mentioned it to her and she had friends that were into it and before you know it we were binge watching a VHS that was a really shitty copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a fan subtilted Escaflowne (look, this is how we did it back in the old days okay? there was no streaming anything!) and that was all she wrote. I went to conventions, I bought tons of merch, I got in deep (I joined *fandoms* and did fanart and wrote fic back before AO3 was even a thing, we were using *mailing lists*–I’m old y’all). I still watch anime and now and then but I read manga more and I have an entire room dedicated to my 90’s anime stuff which I still have because it’s always going to be cool to me. Some early-mid 2000’s anime was also very good. Favorites include: Escaflowne, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, Ouran High School Host Club, Rurouni Kenshin, Fruits Basket.
- My husband and I started dating when I was 23. He’s the first person I dated other than just a single date. We’ve been together for 20 years! That’s a long ass time! In all the time we’ve been together we’ve only been on 3 ‘going away for more than a day or two real honest to goodness’ vacations together. Twice to New England (to visit his mom’s family) and once to Las Vegas. Still, we both love traveling, visiting museums, seeing sights, being a tourist!
- I used to draw and paint (mostly with oils) and I was really into that but I stopped altogether several years ago and I don’t know why. Did I grow out of it? Is it because I suddenly had more things to occupy my time? I don’t know. But I am really out of practice and kind of suck at it now but I do sometimes have notions that I’d like to get back into it one day. I wasn’t terrible at it back in the day.
- I’ve always been a huge reader but until the last four or five years I never usually read more than 50 books a year and sometimes I’d go a year with only reading a dozen books! Being involved in book communities (first reddit, then twitter, then blogging) has really spurred on my love of reading and I’ve been reading more to try and keep up with my ever-growing TBR (hahaha *glances at huge piles of books waiting to be read). I love all my friends from the book community! Y’all are awesome.
- Some time around 7ish years ago I started getting really into tea and collecting tea related things. Look–I just love collecting things altogether–that is a fact. So…now I have a lot of teacups, teapots, dishes, etc. Even though I love tea I do drink about a cup of coffee a day! I may even drink more coffee than tea these days just because it’s more convenient to pick up on my way to work in the morning. I like my coffee black please and thank you. Cream and sugar is just too much.
- I don’t have any real personal style? Like some people have a very distinct style and mine is all over the place. Sometimes I like wearing cute dresses, sometimes I like wearing jeans and a t-shirt, sometimes I look very frat-boy and sometimes my hair is in braids and pigtails and I’m in frilly outfits. Sometimes I dress my age and sometimes I’m like ’20 year old Lisa would have loved that, wait 40some year old Lisa still loves that–fuck it, age is just a number y’all, I’m wearing this’. So I guess my style is ‘whatever I’m feeling that day’.
- Anxiety and depression are things that I’ve struggled with most of my life. Looking back I can recognize that I have been living with this since childhood. I think if I had known back then, if my parents had known and gotten me help, maybe my life would be different now? But also my dad had his own anxiety and depression issues and was too busy self-medicating to really care about anyone else and my mom can be just a tad self-centered. I worry sometimes that in addition to inheriting these mental health issues that I’ve also inherited the worst of my parent’s traits (short temper, lashes out at others when angry/anxious, also a bit self-centered, addictive personality). But then all you can do really is recognize things about yourself and try to do better and really that’s where I’m at in life–trying to do better. Even though I wonder about the past I try not to have regrets because you can’t change what’s already been done.
- I use humor as a self-defense mechanism. I am really fat and I used to have a lot more issues with my self-confidence but I’m doing better with that (I think part of that comes with age–the older I get the less fucks I give?). But yeah when I’m in a room full of people I default to being ‘on’ like I feel like I have to entertain everyone for some reason. Like the only reason people would like me is because I can make them laugh. Even online sometimes I am like this! When I was on facebook all the time I’d always write humorous things about how my old job drove me crazy and the things that went on there and every. single. time. I would run into someone I hadn’t seen in a while they’d always say ‘I love your work stories on facebook–you’re hilarious!’ which was okay, thanks! But also made me realize ‘dang, maybe I have a problem?’ I don’t know. I don’t know if it is a ‘problem’ but it’s certainly something I do.
Anyway, that’s about enough personal stuff for now. I’ve spilled my guts all over this page. Maybe got a little too personal, but that’s also who I am. Feel free to ask me any questions, or not–I don’t mind either way. Also, I’d really like to apologize about the lack of blog-hopping again. I do miss catching up and seeing all your posts. I don’t know why I keep not doing it. I thank those of you that are still checking in with me now and then and frankly am surprised that everyone hasn’t abandoned me. Hopefully I can get back to ‘normal’ soon, but for now I’m still kind of in a weird place mentally at the moment and I’m doing my best to work through that. Cheers. ❤
Here are some bonus pics: