This Week in Reading: Small Bits of Progress

Well, I did manage to finish two manga volumes over the last week because I want to get them back to the library soon. But as for the rest–I’m still working on my books from last week. I have made some progress on them both though so not all is lost. I’ve also picked up a digital library loan that I need to get to so that will be my next read after The Mask of Mirrors. I’d hoped to get more reading done this weekend but got distracted binge watching a Kdrama and laying around the house not feeling well. Such is life.

One thing I did manage to get done this weekend was to catch up on some blog posts. I got some things pre-scheduled and I’m down to only two reviews I need to write (for now…until I finish off something else). So that feels good at least.

So I’m still working on The Mask of Mirrors by M.A. Carrick. I hadn’t realized it was over 600 pages! Darn ebooks lol. This book was kind of a slow read until. UNTIL. Well, I hit the 50% mark last night and the book broke me. IT BROKE ME. I….may have stayed up half the night because I couldn’t sleep due to this book breaking my brain. And my heart. Damn this book. Anyway, hell yeah I’m enjoying it.

In audio I’m still listening to Battle Ground by Jim Butcher. I just left off at a critical part before bed last night and wow. Wow. I see now why some fans are in an uproar. Welp. I only have about 4 hours or less left on this one so I should be able to finish it up by the end of this week, if not sooner. I think my next audio will be getting a head start on my February TBR pile…

Next up in print I’ll be reading To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo. I saw this recently on someone’s blog (apologies for not remembering who–my brain is like Swiss cheese lately) and thought it looked right up my alley so I borrowed the ebook from the library. I should be able to finish this up before it’s due back. *crosses fingers*

So that’s my reading plans for this week. I’m hoping I get more time and especially more energy this week. Can’t wait for Spring–need that energy boost! What are your reading plans this week? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!

26 thoughts on “This Week in Reading: Small Bits of Progress

1. Tammy says:

I love hearing about books that break readers, ha ha, but I’m nervous about the first 300 pages of Mask of Mirrors being super slow…Hope you have a good week, and feel better!

LOL yeah, I this book broke me in a major way at the halfway point. I’m really loving it though. I think the slowness in the beginning lulled me into a false sense of security. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oddly enough I’m not that mad? I don’t know why but I was like ‘welp’. Maybe because I knew *something* was coming up–it wasn’t entirely unexpected. But I totally get why most people were pissed!

2. kat says:

Oh my gosh, The Mask of Mirrors is huge! I read the ebook and then got the physical copy from Orbit and was shocked to see how big it is. I agree, it’s definitely very slow and then it suddenly isn’t and there’s almost no way to stop reading.

3. imyril @ There's Always Room For One More says:

Gosh, I didn’t realise The Mask of Mirrors is such a beast! Maybe I won’t pick that up until I’ve made myself finally read The Priory of the Orange Tree ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve just finished The Obsidian Tower (finally!) and I think it will be The Forever Sea next for me – I’m set to be 80% fantasy for the next month or so and that suits me just fine ๐Ÿ˜‰

I didn’t either but I’m glad I read it because WOW. What a way to start off the year. I think it may end up being my favorite read of January…but I guess we’ll see. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oooooh, how did you like The Obsidian Tower?

• imyril @ There's Always Room For One More says:

Itโ€™s fun ๐Ÿ™‚ Ryx feels a lot like Amalia plus terrible magic (in the sense of good-hearted honourable person trying to do the right thing in the face of rampant chaos), but I loved Amalia so thatโ€™s not a bad thing! And the Rookery and Whisper and Odan are fab. Iโ€™d forgotten just how EXTRA Vaskandran nobility are because of course they are. Vikal omg ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

4. @lynnsbooks says:

OMG Mask of Mirrors at the 50% mark – that’s one way to grab your audience – literally by the throat,and give them a good shake. I was reading it later in the evening and for a moment I thought I’d skipped something or not been paying attention. WTH.
    Lynn ๐Ÿ˜€