This Week in Reading: She Lives~!

Hi all! Sorry for the long absence. Not really sure what happened there except that I had a weird 4th of July weekend–spent Saturday having an awesome time with family swimming and boozing it up and then fell into a deep black depression on Sunday and Monday that has…not quite left yet? I was going to post on that Tuesday but since I hadn’t finished any books the previous week I figured there wouldn’t be much point to it.

Anywho. I’ve since finished two books (finally FINALLY finished Gods of Jade and Shadow) and have read a bunch of manga which I haven’t really tracked in my goodreads but about….20-30 volumes of stuff so quite a bit. I also started my great Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles read this weekend but have only gotten like four volumes read so far. My plan going into the weekend was to lay around and read all weekend but I found a bug in my bedroom on Friday night which freaked me out so I spent all day Saturday deep cleaning (not that it was bad to begin with but my anxiety needed me to tear it apart and put together all shiny and new again) and then Saturday night our power went out for a while due to a huge two-hour long thunderstorm which….was probably the worst storm I’ve seen hit the area since 2012’s infamous derecho storm.

Besides reading I’ve been going to the gym a few times a week. I’ve hit a point where I like exercising? Who even am I anymore? I also have been watching (and rewatching) some Korean and Japanese dramas. Binge watching really because that’s what happens when my brain gets into a funk–it just latches on and becomes obsessed with certain things and, well. I don’t know why my brain is like this but I keep on trying to keep on as best I can and one day I’ll feel like getting back on track. I may just enjoy the Summer for what it is and go from there.

Even though I haven’t been reading many novels lately I’ve gotten a few new books!

• Son of the Storm by Suyi Davies Okungbowa was the latest book from the Goldsboro Fellowship subscription service. This one looks really fascinating so I’m looking forward to eventually checking it out.
  • Of course I was going to pick up A Psalm For The Wild Built by Becky Chambers–she’s probably my top favorite author of the last few years. I’ve loved everything I’ve read by her and I’m sure I’ll love this one too.
  • Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim. I really enjoyed her Spin the Dawn duology so I definitely wanted to check out her new book!
  • Sisters of the Snake by Sarena and Sasha Nanua is a YA book I’ve been looking forward too–to my delight it was also the latest Owlcrate book. This may be by last OC book for a while (or I may have one more coming?) because I cancelled my subscription again–just have way too much of a backlog and I have to pay to get some work done around the house (yay homeownership!).
  • J. Kathleen Cheney is one of my favorite authors and she had a bunch of extra author copies she was selling on her site super cheap so I picked up these. I already have copies of the first three but these were signed so I’m going to donate my unsigned copies to a Little Free Library. I’ve read the bottom two as well but didn’t have physical copies. These are all welcome editions to my collection!
  • And, the latest volume of Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card by CLAMP arrived! I have yet to start this manga but I will eventually, just waiting for a good time to binge it. πŸ˜€

Not pictured but I also got a few ebooks since my last check-in with those back in June:

• Fifteen Hundred Miles From the Sun by Jonny Garza Villa
  • Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon
  • Wild Card by Jamie Wyman
  • The Queen’s Triumph by Jessie Mihalik
  • Priestess of Ishana by Judith Starkston
  • While We Were Dating by Jasmine Guillory

As for what I’m reading this week? Well, I have two ebooks due at the library soon so I should probably finish though – The Awakening by Nora Roberts and Twisted Twenty-Six by Janet Evanovich. I’m also going to be working my way through the rest of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles by CLAMP–4 volumes down, 24 to go! I’m not sure what else I may read. I have about half an hour left on The Name of All Things by Jenn Lyons so I should probably try to knock that out. I just…have been in a weird funk lately. *shrugs*

I hope you all are doing well, I’ve certainly missed being deep in the community and checking in with folks. Take care of yourselves!

19 thoughts on “This Week in Reading: She Lives~!

1. Marta the Monogamist Reader says:

It’s good to hear from you! I remember I was into exercising as well during last summer but it didn’t last for me, lol. I just keep doing whatever keeps me floating. 😁 Hope you are well and I’m so jealous of all the manga you read – I need to make time for it.

Thank you! I’m hoping the exercise thing will stick with me because I really need it haha. Good luck! I am doing as well as I can. πŸ™‚ As for the manga, I just get on weird obsessive kicks, I don’t know if that’s something to envy LOL. πŸ˜€

2. Louise says:

Good to see a post from you again! Sometimes taking a break is very much needed even if its unplanned and the book community are always here for you when you come back!

3. Tammy says:

Your new books look so good. I miss the Goldsboro club but I didn’t want to spend the money anymore…Hope you enjoy A Psalm for the Wild Built, it’s very therapeutic!

Thanks, Tammy! I’m hoping they turn out that way. πŸ™‚
      I might cancel the Goldsboro club soon too, I really need to save up and I have some expensive things coming up soon (a mini vacation and Worldcon in December). I’m absolutely positive that I’ll enjoy the new Chambers–I love all her stuff. πŸ™‚

4. @lynnsbooks says:

Great to hear from you πŸ˜€ Sometimes a little break is just what you need to recharge. And, I know what you mean about exercise – it can be almost addictive.
    Lynn πŸ˜€

Thanks, Lynn! I’m glad to be able to check in.
      Yeah, I think with exercise sometimes you just hit a certain point where endorphins kick in and then you want more of that? LOL

5. JonBob says:

Woop woop it’s nice to hear from you πŸ™‚ What kinda stuff you been doing at the gym? I’m back at the point where I like exercising again too. I like running but it’s less fun in the winter when it’s pissing with rain and there’s snow everywhere. Much prefer it in the summer when I can have a lovely little jaunt in the sun.

Looks like you’ve hauled some excellent books in too, but god bless manga and binge watching TV when you can’t really be arsed to sit down and concentrate on a book.

Thanks! Basically have just been using the treadmill but since I am so overweight it feels like a huge accomplishment now that I can get up to a higher speed and actually feel like I’m getting a work out from it. πŸ™‚ I’m not up to running speeds yet but hopefully will get there one day!

Yesssss bless manga and binge watching indeed. They have been my lifesaver lately.

6. Mary Drover says:

The thunderstorms have just been insane lately! A HUGE burst of thunder woke me out of a dead sleep last night and sent the cats under the bed in a panic. I used to get so excited about thunderstorms because they only happened every once in a while, but now it’s about once or twice a week, and well, if that isn’t a sign of the dire weather to come because the Earth has stopped letting us poison her, then.

ANYWHO, not to get all morose in the comments, whoops! I keep eyeing Six Crimson Cranes, but I haven’t read Lim’s other books yet, and I own Spin the Dawn, so I need to get my butt in gear and read that so I can cover buy Cranes, haha. My reading is finally picking up a bit again, too. I just started Any Way the Wind Blows, and Simon & Baz seem to have done it again and saved the (my reading) world.

Yeah the storm we had was nuts, definitely the worst one we’ve had in our direct area in years. We’ve had a good amount of storms but most of them have either side-swiped us or been mild, luckily. I definitely think this weather is a result of climate change.

I liked Spin the Dawn and its sequel quite a bit but they were exactly my types of tropes as well. I’m looking forward to seeing what she’s done with this new one. My reading is off again this week, whoops! Did Any Way the Wind Blows come out??? I need to get that.

• Mary Drover says:

It did come out!! It was so good, and it honestly saved my reading. I flew right through it, and now I’m almost back to normal with my reading, so 10/10 would recommend!