February was a bit of a crazy month reading-wise. The start of the month was a whirlwind of reading, it’s like I had a book in my hand (or my ear) at all times and was just flying through the pages.
Overall in February I finished 20 books!!!!–2 Historical Romance, 1 Contemporary Adult Romance, 1 Contemporary YA Romance, 1 Historical Romance / Spy Thriller, 7 YA SFF, 8 Adult SFF. I didn’t break the SFF down into subgenres because there were so much crossover with other genres (science fantasy, thriller, horror, cozy mystery, romance) that it was making my head hurt a bit LOL. I think that’s one of the things I love about Fantasy–it can be mixed with so many other things!
Favorite Reads of the Month:
- The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, Vampire Accountant by Drew Hayes – This book was such a delight! Fred is such a hoot. Definitely a character that isn’t trying to be funny but is funny nonetheless. Also, his adventures aren’t exactly uninteresting so don’t be deceived by the title!
- Tournament of Losers by Megan Derr – Well. This was NOT in my TBR for this past month but it snuck in there and I’m so glad it did! I’ve had this in my pile for a while but I think I was wildly misguided as to what it was about. If you’re looking for a sweet low fantasy queer romance focusing on a main character who starts out a cynic and learns that, hey, maybe the world isn’t all shit after all, this may be the book for you.
- My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due – The writing in this just blew me away, I loved the prose and the way the story was told. It’s a great mix of genres as well, pulling elements of horror, thriller and fantasy all together to create a fascinating story of an immortal trying to hold tight to his mortal family.
February’s Book Reviews:
I’m pretty proud of the job I’ve done staying on top of my reviews since getting caught up in January. Let’s hope this continues. I managed to get out eight full reviews and three mini-reviews in the month of February.
- Steel Crow Saga by Paul Krueger – 4/5 stars
- The Unbound Empire by Melissa Caruso – 5/5 stars
- Beauty by Sarah Pinborough – 3/5 stars
- Vampire Darcy’s Desire by Regina Jeffers – 2.5/5 stars
- Stars Descend by Kara Jaynes – 3.5/5 stars
- Bloodlines by Janice Harrell – 3/5 stars
- The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, Vampire Accountant by Drew Hayes – 5/5 stars
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – 3.5/5 stars
Then there was my mini-review post featuring some reviews I couldn’t get to in 2019:
- Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa – 4/5 stars
- The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco – 4/5 stars
- Siege and Sacrifice by Charlie N. Holmberg – 4/5 stars
I’ve been doing pretty good with keeping up with my ‘once a month’ discussion post goal so far. I haven’t done many tags or other posts however, as I’ve been concentrating on getting all these reviews out there. I’ve been continuing with my TBR Shelf Cleanup and participating in the Waiting on Wednesday and The Sunday Post memes though, so at least I’ve had some other content. 🙂
- The Comfort and Exhaustion of Online Spaces – A Dichotomy in Five Part Harmony
- Excerpt – The Unwilling by Kelly Braffet
- I Should Have Read That Book Tag
Plans for March:
First let’s take a look back on February’s plans. My number one priority was to start to buckle down with my r/fantasy bingo reading. Right off the bat (vampire pun intended) I hit the ground running and started digging into my vampire reads for bingo. I also wanted to maintain reviews (don’t fall behind again!) and I did fantastic at that! So far I’ve been reviewing each book either right after finishing it or a day later but no longer. I’ve also been starting reviews early with notes while reading and that’s helped too.
For March I want to finish up all of my bingo reading, as it is the last month! I’ve also received some unexpected ARCs in the mail and I had hoped to get to them all in February but of course I fell behind with all of the other reading I already had scheduled, so looks like I’ll also be reading some books for review. March is going to be busy because I’ll be doing some behind the scenes things for bingo over on the r/fantasy subreddit, and I have some social things going on. But I’m really happy March is here because Spring is back! Can’t wait. How was your month in reading? Plans for next month? Leave a note in the comments, I’d love to chat!