Favorite Five Publishers
Well, this is a tougher topic than I thought it’d be! There are so many wonderful publishers out there, it’s hard to choose favorites. Also, a lot of times do we really pay attention to who is publishing the books we love? I’ve always been aware of a few publishers because of the genres I read, but for the most part I didn’t really start noticing and following some publishers until the last couple of years. Here are a few of my favorites, but certainly not all of them…there are many more I could list!
- Tor.com Publishing – Tor.com is publishing some of the hottest titles right now. What I love most is that they’re publishing novellas, including Seanan McGuire’s Wayward Children series which has become one of my favorite things ever. I love that they’re willing to take a chance on shorter formats and also take a chance on new authors! I’m looking forward to digging into even more of their catalog.
- Tachyon Publications – Oh, I really love this publisher. They’re publishing so many great authors including Peter S. Beagle, Patricia A. McKillip, Charles de Lint, Nancy Springer, and Jane Yolen — just to name a few! The works that they’re publishing are so magical and filled with wonderful prose…all around great stuff.
- Saga Press – Saga has published some of my recent faves! I love that they’re looking for different and new, some stories that may be a little unconventional (like Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente or Trail of Lighting by Rebecca Roanhorse). A few other great things from Saga that I’ve read: Ken Liu’s Grace of Kings, Nnedi Okorafor’s Lagoon, and The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris. So many great books!
- Angry Robot – Ok, I’ll be honest, partly why I love Angry Robot is that I just love their name so darn much, lol. But! They also publish a lot of fun books. I love Wes Chu’s The Life of Tao and Jeannette Ng’s Under the Pendulum Sun has been one of my top reads of the year so far. This is another publisher that’s not afraid to look outside of the box. There are a lot of other great authors that are publishing with Angry Robot including Kameron Hurley, D.B. Jackson, and Foz Meadows among others.
- DAW – I think I have to include DAW just because they’ve published so much amazing SFF over the last 50 or so years. So many great authors have been published by DAW! I remember back in my early days of reading SFF DAW seemed to dominate the bookshelves. I do enjoy a lot of the newer presses and imprints but reading books published by DAW and some of the other early SFF publishers really grew my love for the genre and I’ll always remember that.
So, that’s my list! There are a ton that I’ve left out of course and I’m sorry I had to keep my list to five! What are some of your favorite publishers? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to hear from you!
Next week’s topic is: Favorite Five Guilty Pleasure Reads! Looking forward to that one!