Here’s the audio version of the week’s broadcast. Feel free to download and take it with you!
This week on the webcast we talked about steampunk, and a little bit about cyberpunk. We discussed the boundaries of steampunk, how it overlaps with historical fiction and alternate history. Also we brought up some things that we don’t consider steampunk (which a lot of people do). Check it out below if you want to know all the details. Enjoy!
- 00:01 – intro, definition of steampunk, are H.G. Wells and Jules Verne steampunk?
- 05:34 – authors of steampunk – Bruce Sterling, Tim Powers
- 07:47 – some non-steampunk works that have elements of it
- 10:54 – Scott Westerfeld
- 12:06 – movie – The City of Lost Children
- 16:47 – anime – Last Exile (and an aside about Battlestar Galactica)
- 20:37 – movie – Perfect Creature
- 23:01 – cyberpunk and some works from it
- 28:26 – summary
Bruce Sterling – The Difference Engine
Cherie Priest – Boneshaker
Scott Westerfeld – Leviathan series
Tim Powers – The Anubis Gates
China Mieville – Perdido Street Station
Kate Elliott – Spiritwalker series