Here’s our second cast, broadcast and recorded earlier today. Apologies if anyone tried to jump in on the broadcast, we were super late due to multiple tech issues.
This week we talk about Scifi and how it relates to Fantasy as a sub-genre and some authors with blurry Scifi/Fantasy works including Heinlein, Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, among others. Also a bit of Star Wars and Star Trek talk, just for the fun of it. Hope you enjoy!
Check out the notes below for details.
Or download here:
- 0:00:01 – Intro and theme song
- 0:02:55 – Fantasy and sci-fi and their wobbly definitions
- 0:05:34 – Why sci-fi is fantasy, differences and similarities
- 0:07:13 – Examples of blended genres – Dune, Mistborn
- 0:08:38 – Star Wars is fantasy, not sci-fi debate
- 0:12:40 – Sci-fi or just fantasy? More blended elements. Elfpunk, Shannara, Mistborn, Cold Fire, Dune
- 0:19:00 – Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern and Tower series, John Christopher’s The Tripod Trilogy
- 0:28:05 – Robert Heinlein
- 0:30:25 – Alien life and the gray area of fantasy/sci-fi – Starship Troopers, C.S. Lewis.
- 0:34:40 – Author’s intentions, genre disguising, and ‘wow’ moments
- 0:39:55 – TAPNIT – flash fiction
- 0:43:25 – Site stuff and ending theme song
- Robert Heinlein – The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
- Kate Elliott – Cold Fire
- Anne McCaffrey – Dragonriders of Pern
- Brandon Sanderson – Mistborn
- Terry Brooks – Shannara
- John Christopher – The Tripod Trilogy
- Frank Herbert – Dune
- C.S. Lewis – Out of the Silent Planet